X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 Headgasket/ Cylinder Head Woes

Hello,

I have a OBD1 S52 e30.

Over the past month, coolant has been disappearing at a faster and faster rate. A week ago, I topped off the coolant reservoir and have driven the car no more than 100 miles. Previously, no gunk was apparent on the oil cap or under the valve cover, and the oil was clean. However, I noticed a slight rainbow discoloration to the coolant.

Today I checked the reservoir and it was completely empty after driving no more than 100 miles. Also, the bottom of the oil cap and valve cover had noticeable condensation on them but it has been very cold and I have not driven very far recently. The dipstick shows no gunk. The exhaust now smells slightly sweet as well - for me, this is a telltale sign.

I do not have a ton of experience with the 24V BMW motors but have replaced many HG's in the past. I have read that these motors are notorious for cracked cylinder heads so I am fearing the worst.

I am moving across country to California in a month so this issue needs to be taken care of quickly.

Can anyone recommend a good machine shop in CT that has experience with BMW motors? If I am pulling the head I might as well have it rebuilt as the valve stem seals occasionally puff oil on decel.

Thanks in advance.

I am replacing the headgasket on my s52. I just received the cylinder head back from Larry's Auto Machine in Groton, CT. This is the 2nd head they have done for me and I know they have done a bunch of other 24v heads.

Pricing is standard and they are pretty knowledgeable people.

Comment

I had a similar experience. Coolant slowly disappearing after a few hundred miles.

I changed the headgasket, however the coolant leak still persists..
      I also swapped in a new radiator and new coolant hoses everywhere so I'm stumped.

Comment

^Heater core?

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Thankfully I found a pinhole leak in my lower radiator hose which was spraying onto the exhaust manifold causing the smell. New hose - no more coolant loss.

Comment

Working...
          X