S52 + 245/11 dogleg.. what clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 + 245/11 dogleg.. what clutch?

Hey guys, I've got an S52 and a M20 dogleg out of a grey market e30. I would like to mate them up, but not sure what size clutch/flywheel the dogleg bellhousing will accept.

- I have a 240mm lightweight flywheel for the S52, will it fit? are there small pressure plates that bolt to big flywheels?
    - if it won't fit, what's a flywheel/clutch that will a) bolt up to an S52 b) mesh with the starter c) take the load of a S52 d) not be a clackety 6lb aluminum monstrosity?
    - do I want the 323i throwout bearing that's a little taller than normal?
    cars beep boop

Use your euro e30 323i flywheel and m20 starter, e30 m3 clutch kit and a euro e21 323i throwout bearing. All nice stock parts that are a nice upgrade for a 24v motor.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I don't have the stock 323i flywheel unfortunately. Motor was out of an auto car.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        I don't have the stock 323i flywheel unfortunately. Motor was out of an auto car.

323i and 325i flywheels are interchangable, just a few pounds different.

You just need to keep the clutch 228mm or smaller to fit in the 245 bellhousing.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

word. guess I'll put the light flywheel into the mcoupe then. Lorin, have a line on a 323i fly?
          cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
            323i and 325i flywheels are interchangable, just a few pounds different.

You just need to keep the clutch 228mm or smaller to fit in the 245 bellhousing.
            Precisely. If you had a 323i one, use it, but a late 325i will work just fine.
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
              word. guess I'll put the light flywheel into the mcoupe then. Lorin, have a line on a 323i fly?

Wish i could help but sold my last spare a couple years ago.

Nothing wrong with the 325i piece and it can very easily be lightened to almost 323i weight if you gotta have it light-ish. Way easier to find one for sure.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Yep, just lighten the m20 325i one...
                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

What bellhousing are you using on your dogleg. I have a 262 ultra close that I was going use on my M20 and might put it on my M50.
                  Chris Leone
                  chrisleonemotorsports.com
                  rollcages and fabrication
                  Remember cross threading is the only thing stronger than loctite!!

Comment

a 262 is a 4-speed for an m30

a 265CR is a close-ratio 5-speed for an m30

a 245/11 is a close-ratio 5-speed for an m20, with an integrated bellhousing

to fit your (i'm assuming) 265CR to an M50 you'll need an '82 528e bellhousing
                    cars beep boop

Comment

fat fingered the keyboard, yes 265CR. I wasn't sure if the M20 and M50 had the same bolt pattern. COOL!! I have that bellhousing!! Thanks!!
                      Chris Leone
                      chrisleonemotorsports.com
                      rollcages and fabrication
                      Remember cross threading is the only thing stronger than loctite!!

Comment

Working...
                      X