No announcement yet.

M42 turbo fact thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what are peoples thoughts about stock intake vs. a ITB/plenum setup on a turbo motor? At what point does the stock intake become the limiting factor? Does the turbo negate the positive impact of the ITB's?
    The Lineup in order of appearance:
    91 535i
    91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
    91 325is w/ S52
    88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
    88 M3 ;D
    91 325ix 5 speed
    89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
    73 2002
    1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
    1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
    1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

*UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
    1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
    Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

The OEM E30 intake manifold starts to become a serious problem around 300whp. At this point fitting a plenum style intake such as the 666Fab unit (no longer in production) large gains can be made.

Typically ITB's are not designed with positive pressure in mind so you have problems with air leaks around the throttle shafts. Take care of this and ITB's can offer similar benefits on a turbo car to that of an NA car. Having said that in most cases a suitably sized plenum and single reasonably large throttle is all that's required.
      - Chris
      Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Hi , I have m42b18 turbo from 2010 ... first setup was on garrett GT2871R with all stock but with forget pistons , on 1.1 bar boost was make 290bhp
        New setup was built autumn of 2014, and what I have :)

M42 B18
        Ported head "VAC MotorSport stage3" for this moment with stock cam shaft
        TD05 HR 16G 10.5T twinscroll turbo oil and water cooled.
        Forged FCP Engineering pistons 8.5:1
        Forget Connecting Rods FCP Engineering
        ACL racing series bearings
        PPF pyramid rings head gasket
        Full ARP fastening hardware (connecting rod bolts, main studs and head studs)
        3inch turbo back full custom exhaust no cat no resonators
        Custom inlet and outlet manifold
        3 inch intercooler piping
        INVENT EMS full sequential
        680cc injectors LOW imp
        GM style Intake air temp sensor
        on low boost 1.2 bar about 330+ bhp

BMW E36 coupe 1997 318is TURBO
        BMW E30 335 m106b34 TURBO

Comment

When you use Pyramid rings, if you remove the head does anything need to be done before re-installing?
          - Chris
          Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

What was the spool like with the GT28?
            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
              When you use Pyramid rings, if you remove the head does anything need to be done before re-installing?
              Yes, new gasket , is better new rings !The head planning is normal to do then head was removed!!!

Originally posted by econti View Post
              What was the spool like with the GT28?
              TD05 spool like gt2871r ... around 3000 rpm 1.0 bar boost!
              BMW E36 coupe 1997 318is TURBO
              BMW E30 335 m106b34 TURBO

Comment

I'm currently working on a guide to using megasquirt on an M42, based on my setup, with the goal of consolidating the info for others to use. It's not a priority because I have school, work and the work that needs to be done to my car, but it should be done by the end of the month.

If anyone wants to share info on their MS setups, I can try to incorporate it into my guide, giving people alternatives to how I did things or just showing what can be done.

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                The OEM E30 intake manifold starts to become a serious problem around 300whp.
                Good to know.
                Last edited by varg; 02-22-2015, 08:28 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Are there any flash tunes available? I understand Tune is most important... tuning is the most complicated part for me. Or should I just buy the parts for Megasquirt 2 (Thats what a friend suggested)

Comment

With all the extra boost-related capabilities of MS2, you'd be well off making the switch.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

So people who are running megasquirt what resistances and temperatures are you using to calibrate your coolant temp sensor? I can't find the correct information and I am pretty sure I set mine up wrong
                      -Dee
                      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

I'd be really interested to see what your car could do on E85, with more fuel, stock CR built bottom end, and a GTX3071 or GTX3576
                        Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          I'm currently working on a guide to using megasquirt on an M42, based on my setup, with the goal of consolidating the info for others to use. It's not a priority because I have school, work and the work that needs to be done to my car, but it should be done by the end of the month.
                          This would really help me out. Awesome.

Comment

Varg, if you're after anything specific, let me know and I can donate to the cause, or add information on my setup. I have most of the information around, but haven't really gotten around to compiling it yet.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Does anyone know the proper torque specs for m42 arp head studs? I can't find them anywhere online and arp wasn't able to help either.

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
                                Does anyone know the proper torque specs for m42 arp head studs? I can't find them anywhere online and arp wasn't able to help either.
                                should be 85 ft-lbs iirc, I'll check later tonight on the sheet that came with my head studs.
                                -Dee
                                5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                                IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Working...
                                X