Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 years old fuel: what should I do?

I should fire my 24v swap in the incoming month :p

Due to good and bad reasons, my swap took more time than what I had planned and I'm now near two years later... The tank was about 1/3 full and I didn't put anything in it to preserve it...

My plan is to pump out the old fuel with a little pump. Would do it from the fuel pump port by removing the fuel pump. I also looked and there seems to be a drain port on the left hand side of the tank. The chassis is a 325i 12/88 production. There is no pipe that connects the two lower section of the tank like my 87 325es had and there is only one pump... Will I be able to do it? Is it enough? Am I caring to much?

Please comment
    E30 now S52
    2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
    325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Over time you only lose the octane level, you could just add some more gas and add some octane boost from your local auto part and it should run just fine.

Comment

Disconnect the line right at the fuel filter and jumper the fuel pump. Run as much of the old gas as you can out. Then fill up with good fresh stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post
        Disconnect the line right at the fuel filter and jumper the fuel pump. Run as much of the old gas as you can out. Then fill up with good fresh stuff.
        Could it harms the fuel pump?
        E30 now S52
        325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

I would prob pop the seat out, pull the pump and inspect the tank (it could be rusty now), and pump or siphon it directly from the tank.

Comment

The car have been store indoor in an heated garage...should not have a lot of condensation
            E30 now S52
            325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

It wont hurt the pump...

Comment

Here is what I did and what happened:

I drained my tank with a little hand pump found at my local auto part store. I also used the drain port found on the right side of the tank.

I replaced all the flexible lines of the fuel system.

Shot air in the lines to make sure that no old fuel was there.

I put a new fuel filter.

Poured about 8 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank.

The engine started pretty fast, but I then got into a problem: one of the injector got "stuck open"... causing this: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=335228

After talking with the guy a the injector repair and benching shop, here is what I should have done:

Clean the fuel rail internal with solvent (brake cleaner should be OK)
                Short the fuel pump and pump at least a gallon to flush the system with new fuel, by disconnection the feed line from the fuel rail.

He said that fuel tends to generate alga and that it was most likely the cause of my leaking injector by interfering with the valve closure...

In conclusion, you're never careful enough with old fuel... Haven't taken yet the compression on my engine after running a couple of hundreds miles. Engine is running great, but I'm kind of scared...
                E30 now S52
                325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X