Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My m50 is pinging. Running out of ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
    Why would faulty VANOS cause this?
    When the VANOS piston seal is worn, the intake cam cannot advance for more cam overlap. This has the effect that internal-EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) is reduced. With less recirculated exhaust in the intake stroke, you will have more air and fuel in the cylinder, but the absence of exhaust gas will increase the combustion rate. Since the spark timing occurs based on the assumed exhaust/air/fuel in the cylinder, the combustion will now be too fast and cause pinging. The pinging is detected by the knock sensor, which in turn retards the ignition with loss of power as a result.

318is, m50tu g240 s3.46

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
      So this is where my fuel pressure is at and it did not move as I revved it up.
      So I replaced my fpr a few weeks ago. Of course that did nothing. I did notice that my fpr said it was supposed to run at 3.5 bar though. If my car is running at 3.1 bar and the engine calls for 3.5 bar could that be the problem?
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Anyone?
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Makes sense to me..
          My m20 floats at a constant 3bar, so I don't see why your 24v shouldn't be at 3.5

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

its 3.5 bar with no vacuum on it.

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
              its 3.5 bar with no vacuum on it.
              So am I having a problem with fuel pressure or no? Because I have tried just about everything and nothing seems to have an effect. The e34 is completly stock and a 100k car but does the exact same thing. It's really driving me crazy.

Comment

Just installed a brand new oem maf. Still nothing.

Comment

Your gauge is showing 3.2 bar so i would say your fine on fuel pressure. You can also do a volume test and see if the pump is flowing enough fuel.

What brand of fuel are you using? My car would ping like crazy with shell gas and run better with every other brand. Try a different brand and see what happens.
                  Last edited by surebimmer; 10-24-2014, 09:08 PM.

Comment

and the thread is dead?

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
                      and the thread is dead?
                      No I'm still working on it I'm just about out of ideas. I have replaced everything that can affect A/F ratio and nothing makes any diffrence. I usually get gas at chevron but I will try shell for a while.

I have two more things I will try before I take it to a shop to pay some goons to tell me "I don't know what's wrong".
                      Compression test and possible replace the main external fuel pump or maybe throw in some other injectors.

Comment

Did you get any codes

Comment

Originally posted by amcink View Post
                          Did you get any codes
                          Man if I could get one code....just one code....... ANY CODE! That would make this soo much easier lol. But no the OBD is entire oblivious to what is happening.

Comment

My OBD is also oblivious to my m50tu's 3500 rpm cut. I'm thinking that the fuel pump is dying.

Try driving around with the pressure gauge visible, to see what happens under load?
                            -Peter
                            '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
                            '91 318is slicktop project
                            '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                            '00 Tundra

Comment

Just did a comp test and the #s are

Comment

Get that wideband working

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X