m50 gods, I require your expertise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m50 gods, I require your expertise

Picked up an 325es last week with an m50tub25 in it. the guy who I bought it from installed it and seemed pretty informative but told me it was misfiring cylinder #4 he needed to get rid of it before winter as he has a baby on the way and 2 other project bimmers and not enough room in the garage.. I wanted a project e30/weekend driver and got a great price on it (rust free!!!).

Heres the thing, it misfires, it idles rough, it hesitates, hiccups and rpms drop really slowly. I spent a good hunk of the weekend diagnosing and the biggest problem is I think it's misfiring on several cylinders intermittently… I agree cylinder #4 seems to be the most often, but pulling any plug on any cylinder shows a drop in rpm… I'm not convinced its only #4

heres the specs and tests I've performed so far:

spark test: all cylinders sparking
    spark plugs: replaced with the OEM .032 NGK's
    Coil in line tester: all coils working, if I swap #4coil to a different one, #4 cylinder still seems the most obvious
    Compression Test: all cylinders 180psi +
    Fuel injector noid test: all fuel injectors have steady/smooth signal
    Swapped fuel injector #4: no difference

no vacuum leaks confirmed, I can hear a light hiss if i hold my ear up to the manifold (actually near #4). I've sprayed starting fluid all over this area with absolutely no proof that theres actually a leak. (another m50 guy told me this hiss maybe normal, can anyone confirm this)….

if its not the intake manifold gasket I'm down to it being very electrical, like a dead DME or a bad camshaft/crankshaft sensor.. can anyone confirm a legitimate way of testing these? or any other ideas, things I haven't tried?

below is a picture of my plugs (you'll notice number 4 is the only one without black soot, I'm thinking that supports my gasket idea if its just being leaned out)

87 325es - M50 Boosted - Link to BUILD THREAD
    07 328xi wagon 6mt - daily

Only codes shown from my peake reader are as following:

oxygen sensor - (oxygen bungs have clearly been plugged and has no cats so no downstream o2s either)

vehicle speed signal not present
    ignition secondary monitor

remember that I had been tinkering with all these things during diagnosis, it also showed coil and fuel injector codes for each cylinder. I cleared the codes. drove it around a small bit, and the only thing that came back was the o2 code.

Comment

had very similar problem, it turned out to be bad MAF and DME did not show a code for a bad MAF. Also torn intake boot can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
        had very similar problem, it turned out to be bad MAF and DME did not show a code for a bad MAF. Also torn intake boot can do this.
        No.

Op,

its your garbage champion spark plugs. change them out for NGK.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
          No.

Op,

its your garbage champion spark plugs. change them out for NGK.
          already did, no change

Originally posted by DesertBMW
          intake boot was very thoroughly checked. I thought MAF but if i unplug it while its running it will die, so it still must be doing something… could it still be bad though?… is there an appropriate way of testing it?

Comment

try a smoke test?
            .................................................. ...................sigpic
            .................................................. ............................. ......M50B25 3.1L stroker

Comment

Working...
            X