How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not_a_kiwi View Post
    Which rack did you get? What tie rods will you be using?
    I went with the E46 zhp rack. I just bought new E30 tie rods about three months ago that I plan to reuse. That should work right?

Comment

Perfect!!!! I'm not too knowledgeable about that specific rack. But if it's male ended like the e36 and in my case z3 rack then you would need to use the whole assembly as e30 tie rod are also male. I went with z3 rack with e36 tie rod ends.

Comment

Originally posted by ascendotuum View Post
        I went with the E46 zhp rack. I just bought new E30 tie rods about three months ago that I plan to reuse. That should work right?
        you should check to verify compatibility in my case i bought the rack and threaded on the e36 tierods no problem. You Might need to follow the whole takedown shown in the build thread

Comment

Was thinking of getting this. Is this the e46 rack that everyone is getting?

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
            http://shop.rackdoctor.net/2001-BMW-...25667-330i.htm
            Was thinking of getting this. Is this the e46 rack that everyone is getting?
            No. That is the non-ZHP rack.

You want this one: http://shop.rackdoctor.net/2002-2005...892-712ZHP.htm

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post

A little more than I want to spend.
              Will this one be alright?
              It's just a daily. But I want a little better turning

Comment

All E36's use the same rack except 95' M3 so that one will work
                1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Anybody have a part number for the 95 M3 rack? BMA told me theres more than one on their list
                  Originally posted by e30lov
                  sweet a mk4 jetta, haven't seen one of them for about 14 seconds
                  Adventures of an E30

Comment

Hello everyone I just pulled a rack from an e36 car at my local junkyard for $46 I am about to do this swap. But the e36 was a convertible 1/99 is this a different rack than a 98 e36?

Comment

Originally posted by aerospace_welder View Post
                      Hello everyone I just pulled a rack from an e36 car at my local junkyard for $46 I am about to do this swap. But the e36 was a convertible 1/99 is this a different rack than a 98 e36?
                      As far as I understand it, all non-M e36 racks are the same.
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Hello, I just bought a bmw z3. Its a 2000 6cyl. I have to repair the power steering rack which at my shop will cost around $1000. Is your guide right for my car? Thanks
                        Jake

Comment

Are the E46 ZHP racks 3.2 lock-to-lock?

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post

The purple tag ZF 678 rack and yellow tag 712 "ZHP" rack have the same steering ratio of 13.7:1. The only difference between the two is the torsion bar inside the rack. The ZHP rack differs only if you have power steering, because it is less boosted due to it's thicker torsion bar.

Rich from rack doctor confirmed this. Both racks are 3.0 turns LTL.

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                            Are the E46 ZHP racks 3.2 lock-to-lock?
                            Any e46 rack, except the M3, after 2002 build date is 3.0 turns. Both the 325i and 330i are 3.0 turns. The yellow tag 712 rack has tighter steering feel due to the bigger torsion bar, but they are the same ratio as non ZHP cars.

I personally don't think the ZHP rack is worth it. You're paying an extra $200 for a tiny difference in steering feel.
                            Especially if you are running no power steering, there will be no difference between the standard e46 rack and the ZHP rack

Comment

Just to add some more noise to this ongoing and really valuable thread - Our stock rack seals are failing, so it's time to do the E36 swap now. Good reference here to counter the heresay about which rack is which…

I have a serious question about the collapsibility that was designed in to the stock steering linkage. I've posted some questions before in the steering section about our odd-looking hardware, which I've found was because of an earlier recall for safety. As the linkage shears off the rivets in a front end crash, these steel plates keep the ends of the shaft aligned so you still have some steering.

Click image for larger version

Name:	steering plate.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	7176085

The newer (replacement?) linkage has those long studs on it, which I assume does the same thing - the pieces slide down those studs, but are still aligned so you can steer.

Name:	229933_x800.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	7176086

A guy WAY back in this thread mentioned trying to use plastic nuts or some solution on the linkage spacers so they'd shear off in an accident. I don't know the result of his experiment.

All the aftermarket linkage kits are pretty clear that they're "track only" pieces for liability reasons, and say you should be wearing a harness so you don't hit the wheel. For a street-only car, that doesn't seem like a decent solution. My kids will be driving this car.

In post # 865, a guy mentions it:
                              2) Safety Loss--The mod that everyone does takes away the column collapse safety feature. I am interested in the method shown in post #856. I didn't do this one, but wonder if it would be the safer route. Watch the column come at the dummies head in this video on the old chevy at 49 seconds. Sorry to be a Buzz Killington, but it is worth mentioning.

These guys have a telescoping center sleeve, but they say the same - track only.

Name:	img1570yr.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	7176087

chrisnxl185's solution of taking out the giubo and bolting the two halves together with a heavy washer leaves the shear hardware intact, but is a more rigid connection. Others have said that rubber giubo is just for noise isolation and not to worry about it.

I'd like to use the Dungeon spacer kit.

Name:	steering2.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	7176089

The later cars had a solid shaft with no collapsing hardware, but of course they have an airbag to break your fall.

Name:	photo35.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	7176088

So..any other ideas on leaving this safety feature intact while shortening the steering shaft?

Comment

My question is this: How well do these cars crash anyway? If the crash is bad enough to send a steering column through the dash, what does the rest of the car look like?
                                Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                                Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                                Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X