No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have any pictures of the difference in the angle?
    Originally posted by dvck
    I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by itskingsteelo View Post
      Do you have any pictures of the difference in the angle?

Unfortunately, no. It never occurred to me to document it. Sorry

Comment

Anyone installed a 95-97 E36 Z3 1.9L 2.7 Turns steering rack on a DD e30 ?? Or is there a better one for a DD car ?

Comment

IMO go with the e46 fast rack. Not sure which one it is, after a certain production date all of them are the quick kind. Marginally slower than a z3 rack, not super twitchy going straight down the road. At least for me anyway, I couldn't stand my z3 rack.

Comment

purple tag, "067" last 3 digits in the part number.

Just a little project im working on
            - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Rack identification

Awsome write up! My parts for 84 coupe just showed up. I ordered a Z3 2.7 L2L rack. I got the rod ends on and went to center the wheel and realized the rack 3.2 lock to lock. Could someone please help me identify what this rack really is. The part #'s on it are 7852 995 306, 1096240, 003208 and 0198. I called the supplier back they tell me it is an e36 Z3 M rack. I don't believe this is right. Can anyone confirm or dispute what i was told? I ended up getting a used e36 rack to put in the car in the mean time. The used rack has the same part numbers on it as first one so any help identifying it would be great!

Used rack is in the car now, only modification needed to fit was 2 BMW spacers 72111847480 turned in a lathe to 9/16" tall as upper rack mount spacers. My steering knuckle needed no modifications to fit. Factory e30 high & low pressure lines fit perfectly. Whatever the rack is its a big improvement from stock.

What steering rack is Part # 7852 995 306
              Last edited by Golfer_705; 05-10-2014, 09:48 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

After spending a couple of days reading up on steering rack options, then speaking do DS Rook about his z3 rack upgrade he did in his vert, I have ordered an e46 ZHP rack with e30 tie rods from rackdoctor.net for my vert.

Can't wait for this setup to arrive and looking forward to comparing it against the z3m rack in the touring.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

whats the difference between the e36 and e46 racks ?
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

the rack ratio. in terms of fastest racks we can swap into our cars, it's the second fastest. Only marginally slower than the z3 rack, but it's a progressive rate aka driving on a bumpy / pot-holey road isn't a nightmare.

For a car that only gets track use I would use the z3 rack. For normal people that drive their cars on the street, get a progressive rack.

Comment

From the reading I have done the e46 racks are linear, not progressive rate and there is a difference between the regular e46 and the ZHP version.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

E46 rack is linear; many model e46's got the same part number rack as the Zhp cars.

Z3 rack has less angle than other options; track cars can benefit from more angle; I know it's saved my ass more than once.

We are running a z4 rack in the full race e30; I've ran z3 before and prefer z4. It's the same ratio of turning but has MORE ANGLE. E46m is also a quick ratio rack with more angle than the z3
                        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Do you have to put the spacer on the top of the rack? I installed my spacer on the bottom of the rack to raise it up for clearance of the firewall hole. Does this cause any adverse affects?
                          '99 e46 323i - wrecked
                          '87 e30 325iS - sold
                          '91 e30 325i - sold
                          '89 e30 M3 - fun car
                          '09 e91 328i - sold
                          '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
                          '08 impreza - new rally car
                          '01 996 tt - more fun car
                          '82 Ford f350 - work truck

Comment

Originally posted by ebox86 View Post
                            Do you have to put the spacer on the top of the rack? I installed my spacer on the bottom of the rack to raise it up for clearance of the firewall hole. Does this cause any adverse affects?
                            Yes, increased bump steer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                            -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

My guide for E30

Hi mate , my mate had an e30 and so do I . (although I like the e30 rack at the moment, it will. BE getting upgraded)
                              He fitted the e36 rack , but another commen one is a z3 rack.
                              I believe he just 'made' the standard power steering pipes fit . The pump was the same I think.

You can also look into getting e36 rack spacers , he had silly lock for fairly cheap xD...
                              If you want any informaion about Classified WEbsites then you can join us
                              Top ten Classified websites

Comment

didnt have time to order any hardware, so im going to be making a trip to the hardware store!!

which step uses these?

Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - x2 - - -$2.70

is it step 24, bolting the rack back onto the subframe with the short spacers?

Sig Pic Outdated

Comment

Working...
                                X