HELP! M30 wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! M30 wont start

Last fall my m30b35 swapped e30 died on me. It didn't sputter or anything, just lost power, rpms slowed, then it just would not start. It just cranks and cranks.
    So far i have:
    tested usual relays and fuse
    new cps sensor
    swapped in known working coil and main relay
    added an additional engine ground
    found a burnt spot on my ecu, swapped out with good ecu
    visually checked cap and rotor
    still no start.

All i can think of now is either the rotor is not spinning or somehow the Miller WAR chip decided to somehow clear itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Try and get it running with a stock chip. Are you getting fuel? Are the injectors firing? How are the plugs and wires? Compression test?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Plugs and plug wires were new when I did the swap about 4 years ago but I did not heck them recently. I can try the stock chip, what exactly would I be looking for with the compression test? The car was running perfectly before it died

Comment

Originally posted by tfritz View Post
        Plugs and plug wires were new when I did the swap about 4 years ago but I did not heck them recently. I can try the stock chip, what exactly would I be looking for with the compression test? The car was running perfectly before it died

4 years is along time. Parts don't last forever those plug could no doubt be shot and I've seen just fowled plugs keep a car from starting. In a compression test your gonna be looking for compression... Engine needs only 3 things to run. Fuel, spark, and compression your missing one of these and you need to find out. Once you find out you can dive into that specific system and fix the issue what ever it may be.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Put new plugs in and it fired up, then died on me 3 times on my first drive. Plug wires weren't the greatest so I'm thinking that's my problem.
          Any recommendations on plug wires? Currently running Bav Auto performance wires

Comment

What's your fuel pump situation? Sounds like a dying fuel pump or a dying CPS.
            I've had both on my 535 and they both had your symptoms. Did you check the CPS air gap?

Comment

Working...
            X