exhaust setup for m30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust setup for m30?

just recently swapped an m30 into the e30 and am wondering what is the best exhaust setup to use, i read a lot about guys using 2 1/2 straight pipes.

just wondering what my options are and which ones are better to use more or less

2.5'' straight pipe with a pretty good muffler is what i've noticed the most...

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

This is not really the answer to your question in particular but--based on my experience with my single 3" and my M20--I will be going with a dual system setup when the M30 gets slotted. A single system that flows well will often have dreadful drone (like mine does). I believe that this is the reason BMW goes with two smaller pipes. More expensive, but better noise control.

Comment

It probably drones because of the muffler choice (or not enough of them), not because it was single 3".

as 2.5" is pretty good for a mild M20, I'd think you'd want 3" for an M30, but 2.5" may be just barely enough.

the big advantage with a 3" is you don't have to run a crappy sounding "straight pipe" with one loud, obnoxious muffler. you can add a cat, a muffler, and a second muffler/resonator and have a quieter exhaust that also flows better or just as well, while still being far lighter than the stock twin exhaust.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

im running a single 3" into a dynomax super turbo, it is pretty loud..

Comment

more mufflers = more quiet
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

or boost :D

Comment

I run a 2.5" through a Magnaflow cat, 12" glasspack and Vibrant muffler. It's still fucking loud (probably a result of the Vibrant muffler more than anything). Going to switch in an 18" glasspack and see what that does.

Comment

I am running a 2 1/2" single mandrel bent pipe with a resonator and a smallish turbo muffler and it is too loud for my taste. I am going to try to fit some Schmiedmann M30 headers (will report results) and see how things sound and then maybe go to larger muffler.
                  Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

cool thanks guys,
                    i went to an exhaust shop to get some suggestions and the guy told me to run 2 1/4 y pipe leading to a 2 1/4 straight pipe with resonater and muffler. he said the 2 1/2 all be to big
                    what do you guys think.

Comment

I'm no expert, but 2.25" seems too small for a 3.5L motor

Comment

Originally posted by clementine View Post
                        cool thanks guys,
                        i went to an exhaust shop to get some suggestions and the guy told me to run 2 1/4 y pipe leading to a 2 1/4 straight pipe with resonater and muffler. he said the 2 1/2 all be to big
                        what do you guys think.
                        He's wrong.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I liked my 3'' with two big ass mufflers.

24'' magnaflow in the back and 18'' summit round in the middle.
                          Sounded sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                            I liked my 3'' with two big ass mufflers.

24'' magnaflow in the back and 18'' summit round in the middle.
                            Sounded sweet.
                            This is what I had, since I was planning on boosting it. Waaay too loud. Had to keep it above 3k to keep the drone tolerable. I have since switched to a Dynomax VT in the rear position. Better, but still too loud below 2.5k

Comment

here's mine with a magnaflow ceramic cat, borla pro-xs in the center and and dynomax turbo in the rear:
                              E30 guys tend to undersize their exhaust. As you can see in this video, the quality of the exhaust tone is decided by the quality of the muffler(s), not the...

magnaflow mufflers are lame unless you're 19 and want a loud car.

my air filter is about 4x louder than my exhaust :)
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X