No announcement yet.

The 5 Year Restoration - E30 M3 Reborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the middle part of the bumper has torn away from the bottom. Maybe the zip ties are there to help keep that side from sagging down more. The bumper can be repaired and I would go this route given how much replacements are. Besides, you will want to keep the original VIN bumper on the car. Don't know if you mentioned it but you will probably want to respray the entire car.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Just heard from the transport company. Car arrives tomorrow! :D

I'm definitely going to pull the bumper when it gets here. I'm used to pulling the bumper off my e90 so I'm hoping this is much easier.

My guess is the zip ties are holding up the end of the main air inlet that has cracked all the way through. That would need either a plastic welder or fiberglass patch to fix.

Anything else i should look for right off the bat? Chain rattle, etc?

Comment

Sooooo how did it go?
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

I will be in GA soon and would love to see the progress!

Comment

Hey Guys sorry for the radio silence. I got the car and have been very pleased so far!

Issues

- Alternator belt was installed upside down worn slam out, replaced with new Contitech belt (will post pics later, the thing was mangled)

- Started a bit slow, wouldnt start one day after sitting for three days: replaced battery with an interstate battery from my indy, no issues since

- Other belts worn out: Belts on order, being replaced this weekend

- Removed the chrome rollers and put the stock 15" basketweaves back on with new Kumho Ecsta 4X tires (kept the stock 205/55/15 size all around). still need center caps - any ideas? Those things are $$$$

- The thing squeaked like CRAZY from the back when i was driving around. After ripping out half of the interior i found out it was the rear shock mounts. A few sprays of lithium grease and no more squeakies.

- Right rear wheel bearing is shot. Louder than the engine at highway speeds. Ordered two new wheel bearings (might as well do both) and hopefully replacing this weekend if Autozone can loan me the right tools.

- Windows didnt roll down consistently. Bought four refurbed e30 switches on ebay for $20. Work well now, but the driver window still hesitates going up sometimes. Have to press it a few times. Any ideas?

- Picked up with windshield, its in my garage. The rust spot was smaller than i expected - i was thinking a quarter, its more like a dime. Also doesnt look like any rust near the drain holes so thats good. Waiting to put it on though till i get the wheel bearings ironed out so i can drive it to get quotes

- Detailed the engine - WOW it was dirty. The water pump looked like it went down on the titanic. much cleaner now but still not spotless.

- Doing oil change this weekend - unknown when last changed but the oil looks pretty good on the dipstick. I'm thinking 5w40 - anyone using something heavier you would recommend for a stock 2.3L?

- Washed the car and started to clay, but I'm going to need a heavier duty clay. The paint is rough. After several passes with a bar of pinnacle clay on part of the hood it was better, but there was still bonded stuff not coming out. Going to go back at it with a Wolfgang poly clay when i get some of it.

- The interior looks ok, not great. On the fence on if it is repairable or if it needs to be reupholstered. Pics coming this weekend.

- Cleaned out the trunk - no rust, lots of crud down under the battery compartment and the left side where it dips down behind the wheel well. Used a combination of Tuff Stuff (weak) and Detailer's Pro Engine Degreaser (medium strength) to get the gunk out. Finished with some wolfgang auto bathe - it feels weird spraying a hose into your trunk.

Its coming along well so far. And a nice surprise - full trunk tool kit! Sorry for the wall of text. I'll put some pics up soon. If anyone wants to stop by or meet up just shoot me a PM!

Comment

A squeaky rear shock mount is a destroyed rear shock mount. The grease you put on just made the destroyed mount quieter, buy some new ones.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                A squeaky rear shock mount is a destroyed rear shock mount. The grease you put on just made the destroyed mount quieter, buy some new ones.
                Will do! Thanks. Do you think the stock ones are good or would you go with upgraded ones from Turner or VAC?

Comment

You want 15/50 or 20/50 on the oil. I think the factory called for 15/40 but that is hard to find. I've been running Mobil 1 15/50 lately.

Keep at it, the car is worth the effort. I love mine. I've put 30K miles on it since December 2011.

Will
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                  '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                  '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

After reading some posts on s14.net, I chose Redline 0W40.
                    It's been five years, and everything has been great with my car.

Comment

I use oil with added zinc. On the shock mounts Id look at the big picture and determine what your end goal is. If youre going all OE rubber bushings just get some lemfoerder e46M3 cabrio rear mounts They are like 12 bucks and great for a stock vehicle. If youre going Condor or something get some JT or Vac or something
                      We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                      www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

I use Valvolene VR-1 20-50, have had no issues.
                        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Wow you guys are using some heavy oils! Are you using the cars mainly for street driving or racing? Can't wait to tackle some projects this weekend.

Comment

Here are some pics

Bath time

Fading

Biiig windshield box

Seats out. BMW leather lotion on the left side, not the right. But the right side is worse on cracking. The leather lotion helped some, but the cracks are still visible.

Dirty engine - check out the upside down alternator belt mod

Lining on firewall peeling

Prev owner liked zip ties. A lot. Anyone know what lines these are?

Dirt dirt dirt

Tape it up

Spray it down

Until the nozzle ezploses in your hand. I'm still finding pieces of this in my driveway.

Find another bottle and proceed

These were helpful

I should have some plastic dressing waiting on me when I get home. Once I get it shined up ill post some "after" pics of the engine

Oh and clean out the trunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

did the e30 m3 not have any sound deadening? or just not in the trunk?

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                              IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by Zinoberrot View Post
                                Wow you guys are using some heavy oils! Are you using the cars mainly for street driving or racing? Can't wait to tackle some projects this weekend.
                                These are 80's cars. The manual specs 20w-50 or 15w-40 dino. With synthetics these days, you can go thinner as long as you are okay with potential consumption or leaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X