Getrag 260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260

Ok so I'm looking to convert my e30 from an auto to a manual and while I'm doing this I want to install a single mass flywheel. I have been doing some research online and the swap doesn't look that bad to do. I have read on another forum that they made two different style getrag 260s. My e30 is a 1987 325e and I found a tranny that came out of a 1987 325e. I have read that the getrag 260 from the 325e's have a larger bell houseing and I would need a throw out bearing from a 323. I was wondering if the getrag 260 from the e has a different part number on it as compared to the tranny from the I? And if there is no part number would anyone know the measurements so I can confirm what clutch parts I need to install everything correctly

sorry, i don't have an answer. but i'm interested in finding out this info because i've got an 85 e (7/85 build date) that i swapped a later 2.5 motor into.
    the trans has the ears for the late style shifter but also the holes in the bellhousing for the crank position sensors used on early cars.
    i believe the eta had a single mass flywheel? it now has a 2.5 single mass flywheel and sachs clutch kit. it has always had a strange almost 'clunk' sound when the clutch pedal is engaged and released.
    it just recently started having a bad vibration from what i feel is the front of the trans. after inspecting the guibo, csb, and driveshaft u joints i felt like it was something going wrong in the clutch area.
    i think i may have the wrong throw out bearing in there!!
    gonna go through my receipts and check part numbers.
    wish i would have had this info...

i just did a quick realoem.com search and found that for cars built in 7/87 there are two different part numbers for i and e cars.
    since you're going from an eta donor to eta recipient you should be able to use stock parts? did the donor car have a single mass flywheel? or is the flywheel from a 2.5l?

Comment

That I'm not sure of I found the tranny at a local junk yard

Comment

The Eta and I G260 transmissions are physically interchangeable. The bellhousings are the same bolt pattern, but supposedly some eta transmissions have a deeper bell housing. The larger bolt pattern bell housing g260 is for an m30 car (e28 535, or e24 635 etc.). The Eta and I transmissions do have different part numbers though. The eta transmission will have a "1270" casting, while the "i" transmissions have a "1346" casting on it.

On an eta car, the reference sensor is on the transmission which is read off the eta flywheel (so there's a port in for the sensor in the bellhousing), while a 325i uses a crank sensor on the front of the motor. For sake of getting the correct clutch parts, check the bottom of the transmission by the bellhousing and see if there's a VIN sticker and plug that info into one of the decoders, then order a clutch kit as if it was that car, since there's a few variations of the eta transmissions.

Comment

I seem to recall that the different depth bellhousings depended on
          whether the donor car had a single or dual mass flywheel...
          t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

That's great thanks for the info on the part numbers at least I have some place to start at

Comment

Working...
            X