Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Poor Man's M50 3.0l Stroker Dyno Numbers are in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm building one right meow. I'll post my results here when I'm all done.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      I'm building one right meow. I'll post my results here when I'm all done.
      Aren't you doing a M52?
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
        Aren't you doing a M52?
        I'm doing the poor man's 3L stroker- OBD2 M52 style. I've got M54b30 internals to drop into the M52- they have the same bore, M54b30 just has a longer stroke. It's actually easier on the M52 block vs M50 because you don't have to mess with the timing trigger wheel/gear on the M54 crank.

I've got S52 cams and an M50 mani.

After selling M52 guts it's a wash with purchasing the b30 rotating assembly, so I get .2L of displacement for only a little extra work.

It'll be fun to see what it makes.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I'm doing the poor man's 3L stroker- OBD2 M52 style. I've got M54b30 internals to drop into the M52- they have the same bore, M54b30 just has a longer stroke. It's actually easier on the M52 block vs M50 because you don't have to mess with the timing trigger wheel/gear on the M54 crank.

I've got S52 cams and an M50 mani.

After selling M52 guts it's a wash with purchasing the b30 rotating assembly, so I get .2L of displacement for only a little extra work.

It'll be fun to see what it makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT5v6CrGStg
          I looked into that, but I couldn't get a definitive answer on if it was worth it or not. From my understanding although you get .2 liters of extra displacement you loose some compression. Regardless I'm interested to see how your build comes out. I think I'm going to pass on the M52 3.0 stroker and just buy something that is already a 3.0 ;D
          My Garage
          Feedback

Comment

If you want 3.0l that will take boost this is the way to go.

If you are going NA then now days a M54 swap is probably a better choice.

We just finished another 3.0l M52 stroker hybrid build but it is a very unique setup.

Cliff notes.

- M52 single vanos iron block
            - M54 3.0l Crank + Rods
            - Custom high comp pistons (milled to spec from a different BMW engine)
            - E46 ZHP Cams
            - M52 single vanos head modified to accept double vanos
            - M56 valve cover
            - M56 Intake manifold (with working DISA)
            - MS43 ECU + E39 M54 wire harness

So far over 1000 miles on break in and runs like a top. Waiting to dyno tune to post results and then we will post a more detailed thread.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
              If you are going NA then now days a M54 swap is probably a better choice.
              That's the way I want to go. Its all pretty much bolt in now and days. Its more expensive, but I think its worth it.
              My Garage
              Feedback

Comment

yes, it's lighter and you get newer/better components. Also any DME will work - including MS45, which I can do. :)

Are M54s really that expensive? The E46 is getting pretty old. Hell, I only paid a few hundred bucks for my N52.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post

- E46 ZHP Cams
                  - M52 single vanos head modified to accept double vanos
                  - MS43 ECU + E39 M54 wire harness

So far over 1000 miles on break in and runs like a top. Waiting to dyno tune to post results and then we will post a more detailed thread.
                  Is there a build thread with details on this? I have a built single Vanos 3.0 that I want to convert to dual Vanos. I have all the parts to do it, just waiting for the right time to go ahead and the nerve to hack up a single Vanos head for the mod.

I have seen a thread or 2 over on E46Fanatics about the job. Is it really as straightforward as it seems?

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    Are M54s really that expensive? The E46 is getting pretty old. Hell, I only paid a few hundred bucks for my N52.
                    Yes, but the problem is people over heat them and rather than break it down to mill the block, most people just buy a complete used motor - it costs much less in labor. So, they are still in demand for the typical "consumer". Depending location, they are pricey (check out car-part for your area).
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      Yes, but the problem is people over heat them and rather than break it down to mill the block, most people just buy a complete used motor - it costs much less in labor. So, they are still in demand for the typical "consumer". Depending location, they are pricey (check out car-part for your area).
                      You can M54s all day long for $600-800 now.

Issue is the cars that these came in are now worth less than the cost to pay someone to install a new engine.

I've purchased a couple 330i engines from pull a part for
                      $200 and whole cars for $400-$600. Just parted a wrecked E60 530i 6spd manual I bought for $600.

M54B30 is a great engine if not overhead considering people still ask $1500-2500 for a S52

Comment

I looked into that, but I couldn't get a definitive answer on if it was worth it or not. From my understanding although you get .2 liters of extra displacement you loose some compression. Regardless I'm interested to see how your build comes out. I think I'm going to pass on the M52 3.0 stroker and just buy something that is already a 3.0 ;D
                        It was hard to find a definitive answer on it, but all the cases I've seen it done, the results looked promising. M54 just seemed like too much of a hassle to swap compared to the M52, effort and cost. This 3L motor build will be ~$1K all said and done, all freshened up.

This is the build that convinced me to pull the trigger. Page 19 is motor build and dyno results.

Do the pads overhang the disc at all? I have a set of 4 pots i'm tempted to whack on my M3, but would rather not go for CSL discs if i can help it.. Il grab some proper pictures now they have been used but they align perfect... Eventually got both sides identical after a bit more machine...

Also-

What rings do you guys typically use? The Mahle option seems good and MUCH cheaper than OE, have you used them/think they would work alright?

Link:

Last edited by AWDBOB; 04-15-2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          yes, it's lighter and you get newer/better components. Also any DME will work - including MS45, which I can do. :)

I was talking about the swap being more expensive not the motor. Especially if you are like me and buying a harness adapter and paying someone to flash the ECU.

It was hard to find a definitive answer on it, but all the cases I've seen it done, the results looked promising. M54 just seemed like too much of a hassle to swap compared to the M52, effort and cost. This 3L motor build will be ~$1K all said and done, all freshened up.
                          I'm definitively curious to how it turns out.
                          My Garage
                          Feedback

Comment

I'm definitively curious to how it turns out.
                            Compression with M52b28/M54b30 hybrid will be around 10.2:1, figured I'd post that here, since above you mentioned you thought it was low.

(i was incorrect)
                            Last edited by AWDBOB; 04-15-2017, 04:22 PM.

Comment

If you desire higher compression, you can also use M54b30 crank/rods and use M52 pistons to make a 2.9L w/higher compression (correct me if I'm wrong on that).
                              I can't comment on the compression, but the M52 is still an 84mm bore, so the displacement with the M52 pistons and the M54B30 crank will stay at 3.0 (2,979cc to be exact).

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                                I can't comment on the compression, but the M52 is still an 84mm bore, so the displacement with the M52 pistons and the M54B30 crank will stay at 3.0 (2,979cc to be exact).
                                Thank you! If I had a brain I'd be dangerous. I will edit my original posting.

Comment

Working...
                                X