can i use an automatic wiring harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i use an automatic wiring harness?

I am trying to figure out the wiring part, and so far I haven't come up with an answer to if I can use an automatic harness, or if I have to find one from a manual e36. I might have missed it as most of my searching is between appointments and calls at work though...

Also, I have an m52, I need to have a harness from an m52 car, correct?

Yes. It's a little more work since you have the extra connector and wires, but they can all be removed.

if you are staying OBD2 (recommended), then yes you need the M52 harness.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I do plan on staying OBD2 as I think my tuning options will be greater with the ms41.1 and I like the idea of having knock sensors. I plan on deleting all of the emmisions garbage from the motor...

So if I get an auto harness I just need to clip and cap off some portions of the wiring? All of the harnesses I can find online are either from an auto car or not listed either way...

Comment

you can cut them, or you can remove the pins from the main harness connector and pull all the wires out completely. That's my preference.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Perfect!

Comment

That's what i will be doing using the auto harness and delete auto wires. thank you all. Everyday you made me more confident going into my 24v swap

Comment

I used an auto s52 harness for mine, works fine just needed to clean up the unnecessary wires.
              555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
              '95 BMW e34 525i
              '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
              '92 Range Rover Classic
              '90 Range Rover Classic
              '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
              '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
              '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
              '67 Pontiac LeMans
              '24 Model T Depot Hack
              ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

My S50 (note this is for OBD1, dunno if OBD2 is different) was originally an auto. I cut out everything that was attached to the auto computer plug. A few wires went to the DME and I just heat shrinked the cut ends.

Comment

Originally posted by M3PO View Post
                  My S50 (note this is for OBD1, dunno if OBD2 is different) was originally an auto. I cut out everything that was attached to the auto computer plug. A few wires went to the DME and I just heat shrinked the cut ends.
                  what wires did you exactly connect to DME? and why?

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
                    what wires did you exactly connect to DME? and why?
                    I didn't connect anything to the DME. There were a few wires that went from the auto trans plug directly to the DME. So when I cut out everything that was attached to the auto trans plug, I was left with those few wires. I simply capped them off so they wouldn't short.

Comment

Working...
                    X