Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of your members here named 'speedhop' is about the be M30'ized. Got the old 2.5 pulled out just the other day.

M30 from a 89' 735i (Rebuilt with new rings, bearings, reconditioned, polished and shot-peened rods, Polished and chamfered crankshaft, timing chain guides and tensioner, valve job, surface, etc..)

E28 535i 5 speed manual, stock clutch setup. All new seals, shift console bushings, etc..

Driveshaft appears to be a mystery driveshaft, big flange up front. Possibly mid 86 E30 325? Waiting to get the engine and trans in place so we can get it measured, shortened if needed and fully rebuilt and balanced.

E28 radiator?

Factory 325i wiring harness, someone told him it will work, we shall see. And the 535 Ecm.

Hoping to at least have this bitch shoved in and mounted this Saturday. It seems for so many people who have done this swap there is a wide variety of ways in which this setup works. Kinda making it up as we go. I will be happy when this one is done with.

Comment

Hey...that's me! ^^
      www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

I'm days away from this dream being a reality!!!!!

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

Originally posted by peerless View Post
          One of your members here named 'speedhop' is about the be M30'ized. Got the old 2.5 pulled out just the other day.

M30 from a 89' 735i (Rebuilt with new rings, bearings, reconditioned, polished and shot-peened rods, Polished and chamfered crankshaft, timing chain guides and tensioner, valve job, surface, etc..)

E28 535i 5 speed manual, stock clutch setup. All new seals, shift console bushings, etc..

Driveshaft appears to be a mystery driveshaft, big flange up front. Possibly mid 86 E30 325? Waiting to get the engine and trans in place so we can get it measured, shortened if needed and fully rebuilt and balanced.

E28 radiator?

Factory 325i wiring harness, someone told him it will work, we shall see. And the 535 Ecm.

Hoping to at least have this bitch shoved in and mounted this Saturday. It seems for so many people who have done this swap there is a wide variety of ways in which this setup works. Kinda making it up as we go. I will be happy when this one is done with.

Originally posted by speedhop View Post
          Hey...that's me! ^^

It was nice meeting you two today. Keep us updated on the swap.

-Chris
          Big Brain- "The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Now I am leaving earth for no raison!"

- California Certified Smog Technician -

Comment

Ya man cool meeting you too. Nice ride. We should be working on it Saturday, give me a call if you want to show up. Got that heavy ass bitch and the trans all stuffed into place today. Its IN.

But lets not take this thread off topic.

C/Ya

Comment

OT but, Speedhop that is one blingin' valve cover, you going to sand back the ribs and "BMW" on it?

Looks tits!
              ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

I am officially a member of the m30 group! Holy shit it's fun. Thanks for helping!
                www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

Originally posted by speedhop View Post
                  I am officially a member of the m30 group! Holy shit it's fun. Thanks for helping!
                  Congratulations! I'm still collecting parts and living vicariously through you guys that have finished.

Oh, and you know......thread, worthless, pictures....:p
                  1973 Bavaria

Comment

It lives, it runs, it drives!!!

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

Helllllooow Er Body

Well I've got
                      1. e30 body
                      2. 535i Engine
                      3. Dogleg Gearbox
                      4. E30 M3 Slip diff and a 3.64 but have not decided which one to use

I'm looking for a radiator.

Comment

It's taken some time but finally got some boost back in my life.
                        As most of you know my M10 went KABLAAM so decided to go bigger and decided the M30 would be sufficient.

Here's some pics of the start.

Gathering the bits and pieces for the swap.
                        Engine by the tailgate was free so decide to use it for setting up the swap.

Used the light weight flywheel 7.25" twin clutch setup from the M10 weighs around 12lbs. Good for 600ftlbs.

Massaging the firewall for fitment, using the essential tools.

Cutting is fun.

Fabbing the engine mounts.

Installed with manifold, yes I made the manifold.

EDIS wheel and sensor mounted along with the HX40.

Amazing what a can of rustoleum can do.

This engine is fookin BIG

Engine positioned as far back it possibly can.

4" down pipe that reduces to 3" with no muffler at all. Wiring for the MSII.

Custom driveshaft $600...mmmm well this works for now and it was free.

Front mount.

Got the car to idle yesterday with 85# low z injectors was challenging, also tweaking the VE table a little and was able to do some testing in the driveway 1st gear only. Traction was non existent even with a rolling start and data logged 8.5psi at 70% throttle. Using MSII/extra/V3.0

Just need some more tuning and slap the drag radials on and will get thee to a dragstrip ASAP.

Bottom line M30 turbo E30= insanity.
                        Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Car is now gone The iteration of it that was most successful was;

Location- K-town Germany, central NY

Car-1984 318i carbongrau

Engine-Euro 635csi 10to1 compression stock, head shaved, nasty mystery cam, large runner e32 intake manifold, head port matched to suit, intake ports cleaned up, some weirdo ancient piggyback computer, and a full stainless Alpina exhaust (later w/ a Hartage muffler).

Trans-Getrag 265

Mounts-early aluminum Alpina (yes they do like to crack), e30m3 trans cross member

Driveshaft- e30 m3

Rear end-3.73 LSD

Radiator- 3L Opel Senator, water inlet/outlet repositioned

To make a long story a little less long: I bought a rotten '86 Alpina B6 2.8 from a junkyard for $400. It was missing the radiator, the interior, and the original engine. In the 2.8's place was a 3.5. The car was beyond my means to save and I was leaving for college soon, so I found a slightly less rotten 318i and transferred over the good bits and added a few of my own. Then I drove and tweaked it for a couple years. A radiator hose collapsing, an inept machine shop, a lack of money, starting a family, and the march of time eventually led to the death of the alpinaclone. I just returned last month from NY where I stripped the car of anything of value and watched the car be sent to the scrapper. Most all of the good bits will make their way onto my current car, and a few will end up in my dad's e32.

It was an awesome car.
                          Last edited by alpinaclone; 09-14-2008, 05:46 PM.
                          Matt

sigpic

Comment

Good and Tight, it's good to see you back in the game.

That 318i was very impressive. It has given me some bad ideas about what needs to occupy the engine bay of my car when the m20 is put out to pasture.
                            Matt

sigpic

Comment

M30B35 (from 89 535i)
                              Euro e24 635Csi flywheel and standard LuK clutch (1980 e24)
                              Getrag 265 transmission (1980 e24 635Csi)
                              Shift linkage - Stock e30 (modified it and was a nightmare)
                              Modified e30 driveshaft, had front section shortened and e24 635Csi large flange welded on.
                              Stock e30 3.45 Open Diff (for now, have e28 3.46 Lsd waiting to have centre removed;))
                              Motor Mounts - made full custom mounts of my own.

Proof of swap (sorry about poor picture quality)

Big thanks firstly to, Funkmasta, george graves, EtaSport, peerless, flawdaboi407 (keep going with your swap dude!!), bimmer_adam69 and euroshark.
                              And everyone else that I missed! (went though my PM box lol)

Also would just like to add. For my swap I used the e34 AUTO harness and made it work with my old L-jetronic chassis harness (worst of both worlds) if I can do it, so can you!! lol, cheers guys.

My swap threads found here:

Joseph.
                              ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

I'm in the club too as of about 30 days ago. M30b35 from 89 E34 auto. Engine was fully rebuilt from ground up, new bearings/seals/rings/rebuilt head/injectors/etc, etc.

My project was stalled because I did an E30M3 5lug swap and an Mcoupe rack swap all at the same time.

Will get some pics up soon.

TTG
                                sigpic
                                Winner - Best Engine, Bimmercruise 2010
                                Runner Up - e30 Wild Category, Bimmercruise 2010
                                Winner - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest 2011
                                Winner - e30 Wild Category, Bimmercruise 2011
                                www.vertnation.com
                                My car in Berlin Klassic promo video

Comment

Working...
                                X