Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minor rear main seal issue with OBD2 swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor rear main seal issue with OBD2 swap!

I am experiencing very minor leak problem at the rear crankshaft seal with M52/S52 OBD2 crankcase ventilation system swaps. Leak is very minor, like one drop a day but it gets old after while and I did the job correctly on both cars so it should be totally dry there.
    Seals are new old style spring loaded lip. Are you guys experiencing the same leak?

My theory is that with E34 oil pan oil slushes backwards during acceleration splashing the rear seal, and crankcase ventilation is at negative pressure(obd2), this weakens the spring load on the seal lip and makes some of the oil past the seal.

With OBD1 setup there is no such problem because crankcase is always at neutral or positive pressure.

We use springless RMS's in all our swaps and havent noted any issues... The spring types usually cut into the crank and once a groove is made then there is no saving it. Are your RTVing the base of the RMS cover plate?

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

I bought the RMS kit (not just the replacement seal) on RobertK's advice. My OBD2 swap doesn't leak a drop.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
        We use springless RMS's in all our swaps and havent noted any issues... The spring types usually cut into the crank and once a groove is made then there is no saving it. Are your RTVing the base of the RMS cover plate?
        I avoided using springless seal because they are $100 that come with housing. Unless you can tell me were to buy just the $25 seal. I did use ultra gray silicone and made sure everything looks fine. Did the OBD1 car before this and no problem.

Comment

Matters how fubar the crank is. We get 'payen' springless types for ~25-30$ from worldpac

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

My shop has worldpac account, I looked up the seals and all they got is old traditional seal.

Comment

11142249533?

Check Us out on Facebook
              Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Working...
              X