Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this? (I found behind my T.B.)

Hello folks,
    New to the BMW world but hopefully some of you vets can help me with something.
    Just bought an 88 325is and I was fixing my idle, checked all my hoses, idle control valve and was testing my t.p.s. When I noticed this behind my throttle plate...
    It wasn't there the last time I tried to adjust my t.p.s. Which has continuity when fully closed as opposed to right before fully closed. (I've read two pelican parts tutorials and one says continuity closed the other almost closed) but it looks like I have bigger fish to fry. Guessing it's something from inside the intake manifold or something the P.O. Left for me to find. I did a little search but it was fruitless. Any ideas?!
    Attached Files

Looks like a strange freeze plug. I can't remember seeing it as a part of an E30, though I could be wrong. It probably got dropped into the intake manifold while it was sitting off of the car at some point, thought it could have wound up in the intake plumbing through negligence, and got sucked in through the throttle body. It probably was in there before you the last time you looked, but was bouncing around in the plenum/runners somewhere and you didn't see it.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Yeah that was my first thought, but haven't seen any with the indentation like that and they are located underneath the exhaust manifold on the other side of the engine. Was mostly worried something came loose that shouldn't have. This is the 3rd little present I've found from the P.O. One of which was short lug bolts with wheel spacers, ran great on the test drive and then the wheel came off on the highway right after I bought it from the guy. New hub, fender and a couple gas tank gaskets later... Best part is he worked at a tire shop...:loco:

Comment

Almost looks like the shell to an old gas cap, perhaps the innards ahve deteriorated

Comment

Or maybe an oil cap

Comment

Maybe the dust cover that goes over the large bolt on the front wheel hub?

Comment

Working...
            X