885 head swap ECU help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

885 head swap ECU help!

I'm taking on the task of swapping my 885 head from an 89 325i into my 86 eta. As of now I am still in the process of collecting the little parts. I've done a bunch of research on the topic and I just can't seem to find any answers regarding the wiring.

My question is this: Most every thread I've read says that I must use a wiring harness from an 87 325i along with a 173 red label ECU. I have a harness and ECU from a 92 325i vert (a random parts car I have). I was wondering what is the difference between the harness from 87 and the rest of the late model years and I was also wondering if I could use the 525 red label and harness I have from my 92 vert without any major problems.

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thank you!!

You can- but you'll find that a few wires in C101 need to be moved (pin 20, for sure,
    and the tach wire... and another, I forget.) and that you need the sensors from your parts
    car, as the connector styles changed.
    Oh, wait- do you have a round or square c101? If it's square, hat'd be more work. Still do- able tho...
    Look at the wiring diagrams- I put a 90 engine harness into an early 87 and it wasn't so bad...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      You can- but you'll find that a few wires in C101 need to be moved (pin 20, for sure,
      and the tach wire... and another, I forget.) and that you need the sensors from your parts
      car, as the connector styles changed.
      Oh, wait- do you have a round or square c101? If it's square, hat'd be more work. Still do- able tho...
      Look at the wiring diagrams- I put a 90 engine harness into an early 87 and it wasn't so bad...

t
      i have the round c101. what all was different between the 87 harness and the 90 harness?

Comment

The 87i harness is the only one that's plug and play for the 86-87 e cars. The C104 (tach / fuel pump) plug under dash changed shape starting in 1988 or the i cars.

The 88 / 89 harness requires less work than the 90 up version.

Don't forget you have to enlarge the hole in the firewall.

If you don't want to fool with any of this, Ssquid offers a plug and play chip for the 027 DME to run an i headed ETA.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
        X