Another valve tick thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another valve tick thread

So I finally finished my project did a complete rebuild and haven't heard a m20 run in over 6 months I remember the sewing machine tick but this seemed a little louder then I ever recall and I'm looking for a second opinion.

I originally had the valves timed to .25mm cold but it sounded like a diesel so went through and redid them all to .22 and the result is in the video

With a stethoscope cylinders 1 and 5 are where I'm getting the obnoxious ticks and the rest of the cylinders sounds perfect. I'm scratching my head

This video is first start up with the clearance at .25 and it sounds like a diesel

https://youtu.be/reJo-tkhSr0

Comment

Check the valve eccentrics on 1 and 5 for uneven wear.

Comment

No way id ever run my engine with the tappet cover off, but each to their own.

There are some theories to suggest that the space that you measure the clearance can get worn in such a way that when you slide your feeler gauge in you measure less than the actual clearance.

My tappets are a tad noisy after an adjustment, i was considering using a dial gauge on the top of the tappet to try and measure, but unsure if that will be successful.

Comment

feeler between the lobe and the rocker pad (adjusting feeler gauge used for the rocker ratio) is another way but only needed on a really old worn engine where the valve tip is a little worn
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie30 View Post
            So I finally finished my project did a complete rebuild ....
            new rockers, hardware, cam etc? was it completely rebuilt top and bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
              new rockers, hardware, cam etc? was it completely rebuilt top and bottom?
              maybe refresh is a better term, bought the car with bad rings so torn down & rebuilt with new gaskets bearings ect. I used the same cam and rockers just replaced the valves and springs, there was no severe knocking from the head before the teardown.

Comment

maybe refresh is a better term, bought the car with bad rings so torn down & rebuilt with new gaskets bearings ect. I used the same cam and rockers just replaced the valves and springs, there was no severe knocking from the head before the teardown.
                could be a lot of things? first things first: did you recut valve seats for new valves? checked valve guides before installing new valves? How did cam and rockers look? Did you number each rocker and install them at the same position? Rockers and cam wear out together. Sounds like valves are knocking IMO.
                Last edited by zaq123; 04-02-2017, 06:24 PM.

Comment

dropped the head off at the machine shop and they did the works, valves were seated nice and tight. i fear i may have reversed exhaust and intake side rockers but want to try new eccentrics before i pull the head again

thanks for the input

Comment

dropped the head off at the machine shop and they did the works, valves were seated nice and tight. i fear i may have reversed exhaust and intake side rockers but want to try new eccentrics before i pull the head again

thanks for the input
                    did they tell you what work was done to the head? who assembled the head (cam, rockers, shafts etc)? do you remember if cam pads on rockers had any signs of wear? you can try new eccentrics but I think if wear on pads of rockers won't match to the wear on used cam lobes, rockers will bounce all over the place causing all kinds of noises.

Comment

Mine smoothed out after I had Devin from Southwest Bimmers in Las Vegas adjust the valve. This video is after I adjusted them myself, badly:

Valves are freshly adjusted, low mile engine. This sound level can't be right, even for an M20 which is notorious for the "sewing machine" sound. Sound did n...
                      "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Working...
                      X