Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed timing belt - K6 Relay flashing and ticking noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed timing belt - K6 Relay flashing and ticking noise.

I changed the timing belt on my car - everything lined up. Initially the cam was off by 1 tooth but I adjusted it back and worst case it was off by 1/4 tooth - I checked with a credit card and lined the tooth to the gear.

Bottom end lined up perfectly.

I put everything back together and when I started the car over,

K6 RELAY would light up and there would be a tick or knock and it would by syncronized with the spark from the relay.

Here is a video.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Two hours later,
    I went back out and swapped the K2 relay (horn) with K6

The relay stopped flashing but 30 seconds with the engine on the noise came back.

I turned the car off and when I turned the car and put the key into position 2 (engine is not running/ electronics are)

This loud fan noise would come on.

How do I fix this? What do I do? Is my engine okay?

Thank you so much for your time and help everyone.
    Current Fleet:
    1989 325i
    1989 325ix
    1992 Granitsilber Metallic 325ic (72k miles)
    1992 Schwartz II 525it
    1995 540i/6speed HE53
    1995 540i/Auto (150k miles)
    1998 M3/5

Push the snowflake button to turn off your AC and see if the fan goes off.
    You can check the relay plug in locations with a multi meter to see if the relay is powered.
    The temp sensor on your radiator has 3 wires. Find the hot one and jumper it to one of the not hot ones and your auxiliary fan relay should click and the fan should go on. Low speed is one relay and high speed is another. If you don't have both speeds and you hear the relays click, you may have a bad auxiliary fan resistor.

Comment

Working...
    X