No announcement yet.

Ruby's Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/valeo-...=pwf1132408g1&. But I used A BMW throw out bearing and pilot bearing. I wish I had gone a different route. With the 325i single mass and changed the starter or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by sonomabimmers View Post
      https://www.stockwiseauto.com/valeo-...=pwf1132408g1&. But I used A BMW throw out bearing and pilot bearing. I wish I had gone a different route. With the 325i single mass and changed the starter or whatever.

So the Getrag 260 has a single mass flywheel and will just fit right into the 240?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Another door card got replaced today. Rear passenger side looks a lot better now IMO without those tears in the leather.

This was by far the simplest repair/upgrade I've done yet. It took all of maybe 20 minutes to pop the old one out and slip the new one in, re-attach the speaker, and figure out the seat belt mechanism. I got pretty familiar with the rear door cards when I fixed the sound system, so that's why it was a quickie.

I need to order new black plastic flappy bits that cover the convertible arms. Some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Levy3Poop View Post
          So the Getrag 260 has a single mass flywheel and will just fit right into the 240?

Just saw this. https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=269072 read that. Post I think 7 and 13 are what ya need. But read most of it.

i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Also I'll just leave this here. [emoji6]

i love bmws

Comment

Also I'll just leave this here. [emoji6]

NOOOOOO I'm broke at the moment :( do those fit with an Red46 skid plate?

Comment

I don't remember but I think so. I always wanted one. I've heard amazing things for verts.

i love bmws

Comment

I don't remember but I think so. I always wanted one. I've heard amazing things for verts.

Installing one of those is definitely on my to do list...right after getting it powder coated gold [emoji6] God I have such tacky taste lol

Comment

Lindsay's dad and I started putting the new top on today. We got the old top off, removed as much old adhesive as we can, removed a bunch of small rusty patches on the frame, and spray painted those bare metal spots to prevent any rust in the future. Also, several trips to Lowe's to replace old bolts/nuts, giant plastic sheets, and various other stuff.

Tomorrow, we'll be installing the new tensioner straps and putting the new top on. I don't know if we'll be able to drive it in the evening if we install it in the morning, but I hope so.

I'll post before/after pics when it's all done. This pic is just after we got the old POS roof off.

I'm super excited to get the new roof on. I've always driven top down, even on the hottest days, because that old torn up windows was a shame to me. Now I can have shade! Maybe not AC, but shade at least!

Comment

Lindsay's dad and I replaced the old worn out and shitty convertible top over the past few days. I knew it would take at least 2 days, but it ended up taking 3.

Day 1: old top removal, old adhesive removal, and spray painting the parts of the frame we rubbed raw to get the old paint off.

Day 2: getting the new top situated, installing the new tension straps, gluing the front edge, installing the front gasket bracket, gluing the rear of the top to the frame, gluing the C-pillars, and cutting the material to size at the front. We ended day 2 on this so the 3M window weld would dry over night with the front gasket installed.

Day 3: cutting the C pillars to shape, rivoting the c pillar metal brackets, installing the window rubber, and finally gluing the 4 metal bars across the ceiling.

It was a headache and a half, and we definitely had a couple goofs that cost us a few hours, but IT'S DONE!! I finally have a vert I'm not ashamed of to drive with the top up!

Here's some before pics. Also, I took off the vert lid before we started working.

Comment

And here's the after!

It looks SOOOOO much better.

My only gripe is that it has a little slack in the front driver corner, but it's not like it compromises the strength of the top or anything, so I'm not worried.

All in all, it turned out fantastic! I definitely couldn't have done it without my fiance's dad. Thanks, Gib!

Comment

Maintenance day!

I intended to do another oil change at 2,000 after my last since I used too thin of an oil last time, and I JUST missed 2,000 miles by 2 lol. So on today's schedule was an oil change, new throttle cable, and installing the Garagistic aluminum bushing for the throttle cable.

First, time to show off. My birthday was on August 30th, in the middle of the top install, and my loving mom gave me a Dremel for my birthday. I took the chance to engrave Ruby's name on the oil drain plug since I got a magnetic plug when I ordered the throttle cable.

And here's the oil. Same as last time, but 10w40 since . I found an M42 service manual online with a bunch of preferred oil weights, and 10w40 was in that list.

I change the oil filter as well, but no pics of that. Here's the engraved plug installed. I think it looks nice :)

Okay, here's the crappy old throttle cable. Notice how the hose-ey part is broken from the hex part? Yeahhhh that means the cable has a chance to pop out and get stuck as positioned in the picture, and that means this can happen:

The throttle cable stuck because that's a common problem with the M42s. Anyways, here's the old cable with old bushing:

This little bastard clip on the firewall did NOT want to come out. I was hammering at it with my big screw driver for over an hour.

It FINALLY popped out. I absolutely hate working under the dashboard.

In case anyone is wondering what the clip looks like, here you go. Maybe this can give someone an idea how to pinch it instead of bashing it with a hammer for an hour. Tags for Google to help poor bastards out: bmw e30 m42 throttle cable clip

Mine also had this little bracket to keep the cable going in a good direction. The YT video I watched on removing the cable didn't have this, so I I figured I'd include a picture. It's held on with the 10mm nut under the cable.

After much time swearing and screaming internally, I finally got the snap ring on without owning a pair of snap ring pliers. The cable was super easy to poke through the firewall, and adjusting the tension on the cable was easy enough...but man, I suggest snap ring pliers in case anyone wants to use anything with snap rings.

That's all for today!

Comment

Hmm, I need to inspect mine now.

Comment

Originally posted by cblais19 View Post
                              Hmm, I need to inspect mine now.
                              I think if your cable isn't coming separated, you're good to leave it alone. Just tug on the black part after the trottle body, and if it doesn't come loose, you're good.

Comment

Nope check it out. Cable was in fair condition when I had it. And I had the throttle stick maybe twice. Just didn't stick at redline thankfully. Never knew this was an issue till then.

i love bmws

Comment

Working...
                                X