Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 No start - no fuel

Hey r3vers-

Finished the wiring on my S50 swap tonight, stong crank, no sexy engine noisers.
    External fuel pump isnt getting any power, according to the multimeter, haven't had a chance to check the internal one under the passenger seat, but there are no priming sounds while cranking, or at all. Also wasnt able to 'jump' the starter via fuel or main relay.

I tapped out with these conclusions tonight, hoping to hit it with a clear head in the morning.

Grounds seem to be good

+12.54v at-
    Power block in engine bay
    Harness
    Fuse box
    Starter
    Alt

Main/Fuel pump relays -
    Harness came from a known running obd1 e34, so they are assumed to be functional, although they arent 'clicking' upon startup.

ECU ground-
    Haven't been able to source 318is ecu mounting brackets, or any model at all, so I have it grounded to the frame with some 18 gauge. Probably the first thing I'll check. A good ammount of searching yeilded people arguing that it did, and did not need to be grounded.

OBC lockout-
    Previous owner of the e30 said he didnt enter any code or have any lockout issues, and neither have I. A few searches have reported that the obc resets when the battery is disconnected, which it was for the entire swap period.

I know there have been many m/s5x no start threads, but I havent been able to find anything conclusive, and if sounding like a noob is what it takes to get some feedback, sobe it :)

Thanks for your time guys

I just had similar issues with my s52 swap just recently.

Mine turned out to be a bad Crank sensor.

The engine ran when i pulled it..but somehow the sensor was junk once I installed it into my e30. LOL.

Check the resistance of your crank sensor. Mine read nothing.

If you jump the fuel pump relay, you should here the pump run. (verifing the pump isnt dead)

Are you sure your ecu is getting power?

Jay

Comment

I havent been able to get a reading off the cps, which prongs in the plug should be giving a reading? Should be around 500 ohms right?

Successfully jumped the fuel pump at relay, verified fuel hoses are set up right by pulling one and spraying fuel everywhere :yawn:

Engine wont fire with fuel pump relay jumped and verified fuel pressure, so assuming no spark at this point aswell.

Going to bypass the OBC lockout and check back

Comment

Does the check engine light turn on when you turn the key to the 'on' position? If not, it could be the ECU/DME.

Comment

Turns out it was the ECU. I haven't wired a CEL in yet, that would have given an answer right away- anyways, turns out I had somehow managed to order an EWS chip, despite having a 413 red label dme. Popped back in the 525i chip and it fired right up. The good guys over at Kassel performance are being very supportive w/ the chip, should have a non-EWS model sent out in the next day or two.

Thanks for feedback guys , felt glorious to get that first start!!

Comment

Yep, I was gonna say EWS. I had the same problem. And just an FYI for anyone reading this, you can toss the ECU in the glovebox loose and the car will run fine. The ECU is not grounded via the case.

Comment

Good info. I'm having the same issue with my s52 �� I'll check out all that was said.

Comment

Working...
              X