No announcement yet.

My e30 318is s52 swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

started obd 1 conversion today, i must say the zionsville cd is pretty much dumbie proof. theres actually alot more than i thought to do. noticed im missing a couple parts here and there as well, mounted the engine arms on, the one on the passanger side needed some trimming, it was interferring with the flea bay hears, heres a couple pics.

Comment

yeah.. I didn't have the zionvlile obd1 cd, i kind of wish I did but I was able to do it with the advice of a few locals (kroberts mainly), rev, and e30dohc.com.

My headers also rub on the arms there as well. Also, on the headers, did you get the supersprint rep ones? I got those, and I swear there is NO room for you to install the o2 sensors.. at least in the headers..

I just re-read your whole thread, i'm loving the progress you are doing.. reminds me of my swap! Keep up the great work man!

-Abe.

s52 0-150mph & more http://www.youtube.com/loonibab325i

Comment

thanks man, ya there the supersprint ones, and theres 2 bungs on them for the o2 sensors, but the cd says to plug them, i havent read the hole thing yet, so i dont no where they suggest putting the o2s.

actually i have a question for you, did you use the obd2 wire braket on the engine or the m50 one? thats what they use. also they use the m50 thermal time switch did you?

Comment

hmm.. wire bracket? as in under the intake manifold or what holds the wires to your firewall? like the trim panel? for the wiring i used all custom brackets under the intake mani, and next to the firewall I am using these following parts

21 TRIM PANEL WIRE HARNES ENGINE 1 51711380392 $20.31
          22 COVERING WIRE HARNES ENGINE 1 51711380391 $18.19
          23 SUPPORT WIRE HARNES ENGINE 1 51711380390 $22.32
          24 INSERT WIRE HARNES ENGINE 1 51711380888 $5.93

Comment

ya i ment the one on the intake manifold, i have all the firewall parts. how the hell did you know what plug was what from the harness? im getting confused.

Comment

Also, do you plan on keeping the metal coolant hose or convert to the rubber one? Everybody told me to use the obd1 rubber one but I just used the metal coolant hose.. i don't know why people were telling me you can't, what does your CD say about that? I would really recommend staying with the metal coolant hose.

Also, yes, the cd is right, there is no way u can put a o2 sensor on those headers while they are on the car!!!!!!!!!

-Abe

Comment

Originally posted by windsor318is View Post
                ya i ment the one on the intake manifold, i have all the firewall parts. how the hell did you know what plug was what from the harness? im getting confused.
                Dude, I swear to you i had the EXACT problem.. this is when you start to learn how to read schematics haha.

It's really simple, don't let it overwhelm you, first, thing first, on your wire harness (hopefully it's out of the car) pull the little rubber boots around the plugs back till you see the wires, the way you can tell what plug goes to what is by matching what wires the plug has, for instance.. if a plug has pink orange yellow wires, it goes to the blah blah.

And this is what you are going to follow.

oil pressure sensor BRN/GRN or BRN/GRY
                front coolant temperature sensor (ECU) BRN/RED BRN
                rear coolant temperature sensor (Gauge Sensor) BRN/YEL BRN/VIO
                cam position sensor YEL RED/WHT BRN/ORG
                VANOS solenoid RED/WHT GRN/BLU
                throttle position sensor (TPS) BRN BRN/BLK RED/YEL
                intake air temperature (IAT) sensor BRN GRY
                idle control valve (ICV) WHT/YEL RED/WHT WHT/GRN
                crank position sensor YEL BLK NCA
                Evaporative emissions valve BRN RED/WHT
                knock sensor, 1-3 BLK NCA DME PIN 70
                knock sensor, 4-6 BLK NCA DME PIN 69

-Abe.

Comment

oh i love you, thats a good start for me, i think im going to fit the engine in first, i have no room to move anyways, ill do it while the engine is in.

the cd doesnt change the metal piping, thats why i was confuse because i thought i had to have the piping from the old one. im going to see what i can do, there seems to be a million ways to pipe this thing. they also used the obd2 throttle body, i quess you can use both. which sucks, cause i have both. ill keep you posted, with any problems.

oh ya....where did you end up putting the o2s then? i sold my obd1 cats, im getting the supersprint resonator, and i dont think theres a bung on it.

Comment

Haha, I am in the same boat as you dude, right now my oxy sensor is connected to the harness, but chilling somewhere in my motor bay? I haven't really driven the car besides around my neighborhood, so it isn't really messing anything up.. but yeah, I am trying to figure out what to do with that. I know you can extend the o2 sensor, i think it splits into 4 separate wires, just get 4 wires, same gauges as the oxy sensor wires and make it as long as u want, but closer to the motor the better.

I am getting a resonator as well, not sure which one though, but I will let you know what I end up doing.

Also, make sure you have a obd 1 oxygen sensor, because I heard the obd2 ones do not work? Also, you do not need to run more then one oxy sensor.

For the wiring, you should also have a few wires that wont be plugged in, so if u have a few extra plugs, do not trip!

I am not running the crankcase ventilation system, nor am I running the charcoal cannister, or the emission evaporation sensor, from the s52. You can also delete the crappy little metal vac line that connects somewhere on the s52 secondary air pump.

keep me updated,

-Abe.

Comment

so you didnt bother drilling and tapping the extra sensor?

Comment

obd1 requires only 1 o2 sensor. plug the 2 holes in the headers and install a new bung about 3 inches after the 2 pipes merge.

Comment

installed booster, resouvoir, throttle cable, engine arms,and removed the oil pan, any idea why zionsville changes to a thicker gas pedal stop, i took a pic of the original and the one they send with there install kit.

is this the nut they say i have to make sure isnt loose??

Comment

I deleted my throttle body coolant hoses, and we dyed the sensor and made it fit were the coolant hose attaches to the head. I can take pics if u want.

-Abe.

Comment

yes please, that sounds easier. any engine lights that way? whatever pics you have that might help me, send them to windsor318is@msn.com. im contimplating on installing it the way it is, the oilpan is the only thing i need to do to put it in now. what you think, it shouldnt be that much of a pain in the ass to plum the coolant lines and put the manifold back on while the engines in the car.....not like i have room in a single garage anyways lol.

Comment

Originally posted by windsor318is View Post
                                yes please, that sounds easier. any engine lights that way? whatever pics you have that might help me, send them to windsor318is@msn.com. im contimplating on installing it the way it is, the oilpan is the only thing i need to do to put it in now. what you think, it shouldnt be that much of a pain in the ass to plum the coolant lines and put the manifold back on while the engines in the car.....not like i have room in a single garage anyways lol.
                                he should post them here so that all of us that are following your build can see what he's talking about :)

i say this because i'm interested too!!!
                                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
                                X