Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 325is E30

SOLD 10/31/2015

Up for sale is an excellent condition 1990 E30 325is. We’ve had this car for a few years and it’s been an incredibly rewarding daily driver. We always get compliments wherever we go and more than a few times have returned to the car only to find a note asking us if it’s for sale. Well, now it’s for sale! The car has 197K miles. $8,000. The VIN number is: WBAAA2315LEC51458. The car is located in Chicago, IL.

Full Gallery available here:
    This photo hosted by SmugMug; your photos look better here.

We’re putting this up for sale with a heavy heart. It’s never let us down but us doing more highway driving we’ve switched to something a bit more modern that has more than zero airbags (we just bought a 1-series).

We’ve babied this car with regular fluid changes, washes and details. It’s been parked indoors at all times.

A previous owner was a BMW enthusiast who worked at the BMW dealer and did most of the work on this car. He was a purist, and all the parts are OEM dealer parts - down to the battery and oil used on this car - except for the few suspension components there is nothing aftermarket.

The car is in absolutely beautiful condition. It is definitely one of the nicest E30's around and has not been molested and never abused. It is an original 325is model with the sport seats, and limited slip differential. It handles absolutely amazing, better than most new cars on the road, and still has enough power to keep up with all the new modern cars. The previous owner took great care of it and spared no expense on it - as have we.

The engine runs beautifully, and the clutch and transmission shift perfectly. It pulls strong and is happy to rev all day.

The only thing that isn’t working on this car is the AC. It went out last summer and we just haven’t needed it, I was told the condenser has a leak.

We planned on keeping this car and took care of it with that in mind. If we had another garage space we wouldn’t put it up for sale.

If you’re new to the E30 or a BMW (we were) this is a fantastic introduction. An E30 M3 would be great, but for less than a third of the price you enjoy the next closest thing, the top of the line 325is. It is a real driver's and purists car! This car will make a great daily driver or a weekend cruiser!

This car has the upgraded 15” basketweaves (it originally came with 14s).

Here’s what we’ve done in the past few years:
    • New heater core & valve
    • New exhaust
    • Front & rear brakes (including rotors)
    • Timing belt & tensioner
    • Intake boot
    • Alternator Belts
    • Bridgestone Blizzak Winter Tires
    • Replaced sunroof (the old one had a few minor rust bubbles)
    • New front driver & passenger floormats

The following work was done about 4 years ago by the owner that worked at a BMW dealer. I don’t have receipts for this work unfortunately. The amount of work that was done it pretty incredible and it shows when you see & drive the car.

Engine
    • Rebuilt or replaced practically everything.
    • New BMW 885 Cylinder Head, associated gaskets and valve adjustment
    • New BMW Camshaft and Rocker Arms
    • Water Pump
    • Radiator
    • Waterpump
    • Thermostat
    • Timing Belt + Tensioner
    • Fuel Pump
    • All original dealer fluids used.
    • Installed brand new fuel tank, fuel filter and fuel hoses (original fuel tank was corroded around the fuel pump area)

Transmission / Drivetrain
    • The car was originally an Automatic and was properly converted to a manual, at the BMW dealer.
    • Getrag 260 Transmission (From a matching 1990 BMW 325is)
    • New BMW Clutch Kit
    • New Master / Slave Cylinder
    • BMW Z3M Short Shifter
    • BMW Driveshaft, Flex Disk (Guibo), Center Support Bearing
    • Rebuilt rear Axle with new CV Boots, replaced differential gasket

Suspension
    • The car comes with Bilstein Sport shocks
    • Eiback Lowering Springs
    • H&R Sway Bars (front is installed, rear is not installed but is included with the car along with all mounting hardware)
    • New subframe bushings
    • New control arms
    • New Wheel Bearings (3 replaced, 1 was still good - 1 extra NEW in box included)

Exterior
    • Repainted original Brillianrot Red in 2009
    • New Ellipsoid Low Beams (Original, not cheap Aftermarket)
    • New BMW Original Windshield
    • All new trim pieces, rubber gaskets, etc.
    • BMW Dealer Purchase 15" Euroweaves with 215/50/15 BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Tires

Interior
    • New BMW Dashboard (they are made from the newer material which doesn't crack as easily and looks better)
    • Original BMW Front Sport Seat leather upholstery
    • New Center Console
    • New HVAC Panel
    • New Glovebox
    • New Shift Boot
    • M Steering wheel. One of my favorite parts of this car!
    • Replaced AC Compressor

Electronics
    • Kenwood Headunit w/ 4V PreAmp outputs, iPod/iPhone connection and Bluetooth Support (microphone installed on drivers side)
    • New Component Diamond Audio Speakers on all 4 Corners
    • New Speaker Wiring Everywhere
    • MB Quart 4 Channel Amplifier
    • Phoenix Gold 900W RMS Subwoofer Amplifier
    • Orion 500W RMS 10" Subwoofer in Custom Built Sealed Box
    • Prestige 2-Way Car Alarm with Remote Starter and a safety switch to make sure you don't accidentally start the car in gear.

Other
    Brand new tools in the trunk tool kit courtesy of the previous owner. 2 of them are old because they do not produce those anymore, all others were replaced with brand new ones.
    Included is also the OEM cupholder with mounting screws. Neither the previous owner, nor I had the heart to drill into a new center console to install it, however it is included.

The Bad
    • AC condenser needs replacing. AC blew cold before the condenser went out. We haven’t replaced it because we haven’t need the AC
    • Paint is in amazing quality, but there are a few chips here & there (especially on the front lip). It’s not concours paint, but keep in mind this is a 25 year old daily driver.
    • There’s some minor rust in the where the license place lights mount. I’ll get some pictures of this posted soon.
    • I was told the summer tires (BFGoodrich g-Force Sports) will need replacing sometime soon. I’ll measure the tread wear and let you know. Currently I have the Blizzaks mounted.
    • It’s been in few fender benders. Super minor, low speed accidents (literally fender benders). Everything has been taken care of by a pro shop here in Chicago (Gerber). No body panels were replaced. I can find photos if you’re really interested. You would never know.
    • The rear seat’s leather isn’t in the greatest shape. It’s never bothered me though.
    • The right flood light is out. It's a broken cable. I'll have it replaced asap.

I’m doing my best to honestly represent the car. If you have any questions or want pictures of something in particular I can take them. Note, some of the photos don’t show the front valence (lip), I removed it a while ago to prevent curb rash. It’s since been installed again for the full “is” experience.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in this car. I just went to Vintage Fest here in Chicago and had I shown this E30, it would have been one of the nicest ones there.

Full Gallery available here:
    Last edited by ndelage; 10-31-2015, 11:12 AM. Reason: sold

PM Sent

Comment

Happy to see that this car is still around. I know the previous owner quite well and he misses the crap out of this E30!!

Goodluck with the title situation, I know he'll do what he can to get it sorted :up:
      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

I wish you had it for sale a month ago or so. I had to ship mine from San Francisco. Free bump for you. Worth every peny in my opinion.
        1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
        1990 e30 325is
        1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

Thanks everyone. Previous owner is really lending me a hand to resolve the title. I think everything will corrected this week or next. Lots of nice cars for sale at the moment, I've got some competition! ;)

Super cool to hear that some of you are familiar with this car.
          Last edited by ndelage; 09-27-2015, 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Added photos of the minor accident damage to the gallery after a member requested the pictures.

Taking the car to the mechanic this Wednesday to have a squeaky belt looked at and get the oil changed.

Realized one of the windshield washer wasn't working. Narrowed it down to the T-connector having some blockage. Ordered a replacement, will install this week.

Comment

Still for sale?

Does it have any other rust spots, maybe in the underside?
              I'm very interested, wondering if you got the flood title fixed.

shossni@gmail.com

Thanks!

Comment

I haven't seen any rust other that the license plate lights (which is super minor). I took some pictures this week when it was at the mechanic, just posted them:

At the mechanic just had the following done:

* Replaced the valve cover gasket (there was a minor leak)
                * Tightened & conditioned belts to resolve some squeaking
                * Flushed the power steering fluid

Title has been fixed, I'm waiting for the new title to arrive in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by ndelage View Post
                  We’re putting this up for sale with a heavy heart. It’s never let us down but us doing more highway driving we’ve switched to something a bit more modern that has more than zero airbags (we just bought a 1-series).
                  Well you could just put the original airbag steering wheel back the car and keep it :-)
                  Randy Walters

2021 Mazda 3 Sedan Premium AWD
                  1988 325is (w/89 bumpers, recently sold)
                  1989 325is (Broadsided long ago RIP)
                  1996 328is (Sold to Matt J)
                  2003 530i Sport (Spare car now)
                  2005 X3 (little woman's car)
                  Driving Instructor BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
                  Multiple L.A. & S.D. Region SCCA Autocross Championships

Comment

Originally posted by randywalters View Post
                    Well you could just put the original airbag steering wheel back the car and keep it :-)
                    I have a '90 325is also. Build date was 6/89. It never had an airbag. That was the 'bubble' year when they started installing those ugly airbag steering wheels.
                    '90 zinno 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by goldenbb View Post
                      I have a '90 325is also. Build date was 6/89. It never had an airbag. That was the 'bubble' year when they started installing those ugly airbag steering wheels.
                      Yes, the first month (or two?) of production on the 1990 E30 did not have the airbag steering wheel. The story back then was that there was a delay with the airbag supplier getting product to the factory in time for the start of production so BMW used leftover 89 components while waiting for the airbags to arrive. I've seen a number of these early 90 cars with no factory airbag. They do however have the regular sealed beam headlights (instead of the ellipsoids) and the coupes also have the fixed rear quarter windows (instead of ones that pop open).

Edit - i seem to remember the first month of each model year's production was September, but your 90 was built in June 89?

The OP's car appears to have the little orange airbag sensors on the left and right shock towers in the engine compartment photos.
                      Last edited by randywalters; 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM. Reason: added a question
                      Randy Walters

2021 Mazda 3 Sedan Premium AWD
                      1988 325is (w/89 bumpers, recently sold)
                      1989 325is (Broadsided long ago RIP)
                      1996 328is (Sold to Matt J)
                      2003 530i Sport (Spare car now)
                      2005 X3 (little woman's car)
                      Driving Instructor BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
                      Multiple L.A. & S.D. Region SCCA Autocross Championships

Comment

I suspect this car came with an airbag, but I'm not sure I'd want to rely on a '90 airbag! The steering wheel was replaced with an M steering wheel (which is amaaaaazing) some time ago.

Just spend $400 at the mechanic getting the above items all sorted out. Let's get this sold!

Price drop: $8,300

Comment

Your car is GORGEOUS, sir. GLWS!

Comment

car for sale

GLWS great car. Paint job on car really stands out. Something most of us need to consider doing.

Comment

Hey guys, I am the Previous Owner of this car.

Just wanted to follow up on this and help Nate find a great home for this car! It truly deserves someone who will appreciate it and take care of it!

The car WAS NOT flooded. During hurricane sandy it was in a dry indoor garage far away from the flood areas!

Most of the work here was done by the owner before me, shortly before I purchased it. He was a part tech at a BMW dealership and put ALL OEM parts on it. Down to the original glass, dashboard, leather replacement, and even brand new OEM euroweaves!

This car is awesome and I still regret selling it. Personally, I feel it is currently underpriced! If you have any questions for me, I am here to answer them.

Comment

Working...
                              X