Nicademus' 1986 325e Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good man.

Keep the DB's and rock the look of ldsbeaker on here..
    Go with Ground controls and slam it. Keep the bottle caps if you have to.
    Nice interior... To fix that worn out bolster on the cheap, just go to a fabric shop and match it up to some similiar fabric. Stitch a patch over it. Wont look 100% but for sure 100% better.

Dont do a plastic swap on this car wahtever you do... It will never look right..

Go with the thin euro metal bumpers bro. You'll thank me. I wouldnt normally respond to these threads but I'm biased towards early Eta's.

Comment

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post
      Looks good man.

Keep the DB's and rock the look of ldsbeaker on here..
      Go with Ground controls and slam it. Keep the bottle caps if you have to.
      Nice interior... To fix that worn out bolster on the cheap, just go to a fabric shop and match it up to some similiar fabric. Stitch a patch over it. Wont look 100% but for sure 100% better.

Dont do a plastic swap on this car wahtever you do... It will never look right..

Go with the thin euro metal bumpers bro. You'll thank me. I wouldnt normally respond to these threads but I'm biased towards early Eta's.
      Where does one get the thing euro metal bumpers? years? Is that whats on the car in the picture, because I really like how it looks.

I'm picking up Recaro's and BBS' today.....actually the BBS' are sitting next to me now

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
      ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
        Where does one get the thing euro metal bumpers? years? Is that whats on the car in the picture, because I really like how it looks.

I'm picking up Recaro's and BBS' today.....actually the BBS' are sitting next to me now
        Just keep your eyes open for people selling locally, they pop every so often.. importing is probably tons of cash [someone correct me if im wrong]

Comment

Here is my new stuff (Wheels and E36 switches):

Originally posted by Stephen027 View Post
          Just keep your eyes open for people selling locally, they pop every so often.. importing is probably tons of cash [someone correct me if im wrong]
          What years/models did they come on? There was a Euro 84' I think on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks earlier this week but it sold quick.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
          ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
            Here is my new stuff (Wheels and E36 switches):

What years/models did they come on? There was a Euro 84' I think on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks earlier this week but it sold quick.
            Nice wheels! If im not mistaken in europe they switched to plastics in 88, so every year up to then i believe...

Comment

Yeah. I think Levent has a set for sell. PM ZM Blue Devil
              Just search up euro bumpers man you'll find it.

84-87 E30 produced anywhere but here.
              And nice wheels! I searched for a long time to find a decent set not at rape pricing..

Comment

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post
                Yeah. I think Levent has a set for sell. PM ZM Blue Devil
                Just search up euro bumpers man you'll find it.

84-87 E30 produced anywhere but here.
                And nice wheels! I searched for a long time to find a decent set not at rape pricing..
                Whats a non rape price for BBS RM 16"x6.5"??? Hope I didn't over pay and unknowingly got raped

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Well I just picked up my new big chimpin seats!!! I think they're some version of Recaro LN seats, but I could be very wrong. All I know is they're two different colors and I LOVE them!!!! They look brand new and have been in storage for years. Did I mention they have no tears?...well there is a tiny hole in the black seats headrest and the blue seat is missing it's headrest. I can't complain though since they were only $60 :D

Some guy sold a one Recaro Trophy seat out from under me that I was going to buy for $110 this past Friday. I was pissed but now I'm kinda glad I didn't get it. I love my unique, inxpensive, Recaro seats.

All in all today was a good day. I picked up Recaro's and BBS' and the new issue of S3Magazine arrived at my house with the article I wrote and my picture in it (my first published work :) s3mag.com)!! What more could one want?.....well I suppose I would have preferred one of my wheels wasn't dented.

Anyone know a good/inexpensive wheel refurbishing place in the Northwest? (Seattle area preferred)
                  Last edited by Nicademus; 09-02-2008, 11:27 PM.

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Dash Removal: Not as easy as it was on the 91' I removed my new dash from :(

So I started taking my dash out last night and finished today. These instructions are quite good, however they lack some important info towards the end such as:

- How do I get the 2 wire bundles out that are routed through the center of the dash?? (I ended up hacking the crap out of it and then turned to popping the HVAC tubing out which is the best way I could tell to do it.....actually once removed I noticed that there were screws holding the tubing that I may or may not have been able to get to while still installed.

- I believe there were two other things the author did not cover. Some sets of screws here and there. For instance I recommend removing the steering column plastic and I don't think he tells you to.

- Not the author problem but: There is an Ungo alarm installed in my car, so I have a jumble of wires and two boxes and a control unit to deal with. I'd like to just chop it out but it appears to be connected to the ignition and I don't want to ruin my wiring....I may just tuck it back in behind the new dash?

I recommend using these two dash DIY threads:

#1 This one is really nice, step by step

*EDIT*

So i got the dash back in and slightly bolted on, on the left side. The rats nest of wires is intimidating.
                    Last edited by Nicademus; 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM.

~ John Adams ~

Comment

sweet seats man! i'm assuming you're going to locate a new headrest for the blue one?
                      -Pierre
                      1987 535is
                      1988 325is

Comment

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
                        sweet seats man! i'm assuming you're going to locate a new headrest for the blue one?
                        Yeah thats the plan but I have no idea where?

Dash Install from Hell!!!!:

Sooo the removal started yesterday, went pretty well and finished up earlier today with the removal process. Then began the install......

I can't for the life of me get the glove compartment to fit. If the rear hinge part is attached then it won't close. The glove compartment is from my original dash (1986 325e) and the new dash was out of an 89'-91' E30. Does it really matter? I know my glove compartment doesn't have the locking mechanism (Euro handle or whatever). :( !!Please Help!! :(

~ John Adams ~

Comment

I love those seats, I have never seen that fabric before, super 80's style. It's even kinda cool that they aren't the same color.

I don't really know what is up with your glove box, but I am fairly certain that the dashes are the same.
                          Matt

sigpic

Comment

Those seats are the sh$t. My brother has a pair of recaro's in his GTI that I'm gonna have to steal. They don't look as good as those though. Nice price too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gobig_us View Post
                              Those seats are the sh$t. My brother has a pair of recaro's in his GTI that I'm gonna have to steal. They don't look as good as those though. Nice price too.
                              They're in really good condition too. I wish I had the headrest for the blue one, but I can't really complain for that price ($60).

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Ok so I finally finished my dash install. All in all it turned out quite well, but the stereo doesn't work now :( (I couldn't get these two plugs to well...plug back in. Anyone have a pic of the back of OEM stereo?). I also found an amp in my trunk. Is it OEM or aftermarket? I'm thinking aftermarket. I also have a fabulous Ungo alarm that I want to yank, however I fear that it will cause some sort of problems if I do; am I wrong to assume this? Lastly, I have some shots of my editorial in this months issue of S3Magazine (www.s3mag.com ;)). Now onto the pics!!!! :nice:

The baller status amp!

Ungo Alarm; period correct no?

My baggies for labeling and sorting fasteners, screws and such:

I used this stolen Uhaul packing blanket to make it more comfortable while swapping the dash. Definitely advise some variation of this:

Me feeling good about progress...yeah the removal always goes smoother ;)

I'd sit on the back seat occaisonally to look at the directions, quench my thirst and stretch my legs (I can't image doing this if you're tall or have large hands. I'm a little over 5'9"):

The old dash! purty :nice:

Pissed at the dash. It was around 10:30pm and I was working in the driveway with a floodlight.....shitty:

Here's the inside of the alarm. Looks like it was a pretty nice alarm with the mercury filled tubes and such:

I need to take some new shots of it installed. Its glorious...well not really but it is crack free......sorta. There is a tiny one hidden from view. What can I do to keep it from progressing?

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Working...
                                X