New Here, New e30 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here, New e30 owner

For the last 6 years I've owned an e36 m3 sedan, forum pages have always been a big help when modifying/fixing up anything.. finally I got tired of having a daily driver that needed to be back together before monday so I could make it to work/school. So as difficult as it was for me to let it go, I sold it. Bought myself a nice honda civic as a daily…

But I still wanted something to work on, just not something I needed to depend on every day. I've wanted an e30 for a very long time, I just absolutely love how they look, a couple days ago I picked up an 87 325 es, fitted with a m50tub25.. I'm gonna need some help with this one, its gonna be my project car/weekend driver. I'd like to make it fairly beefy over a period of time, all suggestions on what to look at, what to look for, and directions to take are very welcome! I'm not opposed to engine swaps or any direction really but its my understanding that the m50tub25 is a fairly good base to start with. (seems pretty similar to my s52)

Also, did a I get a good deal? I paid $2400 for it, its absolutely rust free, it has a little dent on the front fender (It looks hopefully pop-able) its feels pretty sluggish right now, but its hard to tell cause its got a misfire, so first Im gonna track this down and see how it feels then, but I think it just generally needs a tune up.. He said it was running the standard PCM from its e36 doner car. But it feels like it needs some engine management too… And all in all, body and interior is in immaculate condition and its just absolutely gorgeous.

enjoy some photos I just took!

So after getting it home a couple nights ago I've only had a small bit of diagnose time, the weird thing is it doesn't seem to be misfiring on any particular cylinder. unplugging each coil makes a noticeable difference in rpm drop… spark plugs all have soot on them (sign on running rich) but no signs of oil, coolant, or carbon tracing on them.. all coils tested out good... but its stumpling/hiccuping and acting like its misfiring.. the compression test brought me some confidence that she's doing well internally!
    all cylinders 180psi +

obviously #4 looks a little different than the rest, maybe #4 isn't always getting gas and the others are all running rich….

maybe a crank/cam position sensor? When the cam sensor when out on my m3 it felt a bit like a misfire. I don't know too much about OBD1 but I would imagine it would pull a code for CPS. I used my peake reader and it came up with nothing, but then again, who knows if the dash light or peake under hood electronics have been hooked up correctly (the guy had no idea)… but it did have power at least… I don't know, I'm no where near done diagnosing but thought I'd share where I'm at so far, maybe some of you have seen this before and can save me some time!

87 325es - M50 Boosted - Link to BUILD THREAD
    07 328xi wagon 6mt - daily

Nice fucking car man! 87 is? i had the same car, it's my favorite e30 of all time... unfortunately it was taken away from me. nice swap as well.

Comment

oh just seen the es, but still awesome car. +1 for aluminum bumpers and late is valence

Comment

Originally posted by Kevs87-325is View Post
        Nice fucking car man! 87 is? i had the same car, it's my favorite e30 of all time... unfortunately it was taken away from me. nice swap as well.
        well it is technically an IS now. has the cluster and motor/tranny from an IS

Comment

Welcome. Nice car man. $2400 seems like a deal (maybe even a steal) for what you got. Even if you have to sort out some serious engine management issues, I'd say you got a deal. Look forward to seeing more.

Comment

What a deal, very nice pick up man.
            IG: @_j.wn

Comment

welcome to e30s.

awesome car, and for a great price. good luck with it and have fun.

edit. contact "sssquid", on here, if you need it tuned.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

I would ditch the champion plugs for some Bosch or ngk
                Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by meanEG View Post
                  I would ditch the champion plugs for some Bosch or ngk
                  already done!

okay! update, found a few vacuum leaks, fixed them, didn't help at all but made me feel better. all wiring to all fuel injectors is working flawlessly, tested via noid light.

my other thought is I can hear a small leak near my intake manifold near cylinder 4, could this be leaning out cylinder 4 enough for it not to fire under load even if the fuel injector's working?…

also my under hood OBD reader finally started working! got an oxygen sensor code, theres no cats, and the o2 bungs on the headers are plugged… I'm assuming this would cause some issues correct, I mean how would it measure air/fuel ratio without that? is this normal practice for m50 drivers?

Comment

Sweet car .. enjoy the real driving feeling 😉
                    straight roads are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers

1982 e21 323i rs Hartge
                    1989 e30 325i convertible
                    1994 e36 m3

Comment

Working...
                    X