Discuss, power steering or no power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
    You let other people drive your E30? Haha I have let two people drive my car ever, my mom and my best friend.
    hahah I was surprised at this too! haha I've never let anyone drive my e30 haha
    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by anabolice30 View Post
      Cute sig OP!
      Even at low speeds I really don't have any problems and when up to speed its as if it had PS.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
        You guys do realize that there was a time when power steering was an option and was on cars far larger and heavier then an e30.
        manual racks are also geared differently for that reason, ive driven old cars that disconnected the power steering and its HORRIBLE, and im not a small guy.. swap in a manual box/rack and my grandmom can drive it.. thats also why alot of old cars had big steering wheels to help out

my powersteering pump took a shit on the way to Bimmerfest this year and it was a huge pain in the ass to drive around town, id never bypass a stock rack when you can just swap in a non-assisted z4 rack..
        IG: haggardfab

Comment

That reminds me, I drove a 1977 Dodge W200 with full-time 4wd, 7inch Superlift lift kit and 315/75/16 Goodyear MT/R's in highschool (prepping it to be my winter vehicle). Well anyways it had PS and a boat steering wheel, it was a heck of a workout to turn the wheels at any speed.

Comment

I've had condor ps deletes on both of my e30s and will never look back. IMO, these cars are so light that I've never had I struggle turning at low speeds.

Comment

My 87 suburban with 33x11, PS and a smaller steering wheel drove like a car.

Comment

My 318is came stock without PS ;D

I think here in europe PS was an option for all e30's (except for the really fancy ones).

The only problem with the stock manual rack is that since grandma was supposed to be able to drive her bimmer to church every sunday, the rack is veeery demultiplied. It's 4.8 turns side to side trolololo
                Originally posted by kendogg
                Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
                OG RACECAR

Comment

[ATTACH]90454[/ATTACH]

Comment

I removed PS from my m20 car (195 tires), drained the hydraulic fluid and caped of banjo bolts with hose, daily driving doesn't feel any different, but parking definitely takes more effort and time - you need both hands on wheel going from lock to lock at parking speeds. Awaiting for quicker and fully manual z4 rack that is said to be somewhat lighter than depowered hydraulic rack. Also the rubber guibo that was mentioned to fail is the same part number for power steering and manual coupler.
                    My transaction feedback on r3vlimited :):Clickety click

Comment

the PO of my car removed the PS pump and it feels excellent anywhere above 10mph

IMO, the car feels much more raw when doing canyon runs or controlling oversteer
                      Harp

Comment

Originally posted by raudonis View Post
                        Awaiting for quicker and fully manual z4 rack that is said to be somewhat lighter than depowered hydraulic rack.
                        tell me more about this rack plz
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          tell me more about this rack plz
                          Here is a single internet thread that mentions using z4 rack in a non z4 chasis:

Comment

why search when you can spoonfeed me ... but it also makes this thread helpful for others who would search in the future :)

Thanks!
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

This Wanganstyle dude is really pushing the limit: 6 speed swaps for m20, modified LSDs - golden lurking material.

Comment

My M50 318i had the PS taken out.. was thinking of putting it back in but realistically I'll never get around to it

Comment

Working...
                                X