Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
    How has your experience getting the license been? I would love to do the same eventually.
    It's been awesome! It is probably the most fun thing Never experienced anything like it. When I am up there nothing really goes through my mind but flying. Can't wait to take my friends up :)

I'm going through a business at my local executive airport. They do charter flights but also have Alpha Pilot Academy which is basically their flight school. I'm moving through it relatively quickly due to a background in aviation related things and a general interest in planes my whole life. I'm hoping to solo in the next 6 hours which would be pretty awesome ;D
    89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
    I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
      It's been awesome! It is probably the most fun thing Never experienced anything like it. When I am up there nothing really goes through my mind but flying. Can't wait to take my friends up :)

I'm going through a business at my local executive airport. They do charter flights but also have Alpha Pilot Academy which is basically their flight school. I'm moving through it relatively quickly due to a background in aviation related things and a general interest in planes my whole life. I'm hoping to solo in the next 6 hours which would be pretty awesome ;D
      That's awesome, keep posting pictures so I can live through you vicariously!

On another note...is this a U2 sitting on the tarmac at Hickam?

I get really bored at work and like to spend my time "traveling" around the world via Google Maps lol

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

That's awesome, keep posting pictures so I can live through you vicariously!

On another note...is this a U2 sitting on the tarmac at Hickam?

I get really bored at work and like to spend my time "traveling" around the world via Google Maps lol
        Will do! Was supposed to go flying today but was grounded due to an 18 knot crosswind gusting to 28. Ugh. Planning to go up tomorrow and Thursday though so that'll make up for it, weather permitting.

I also do that sometimes :D Looked at Whiteman the other day and saw a B-2 sittin outside and what looked to be some T-38's.

I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Hahahah nice I'm glad I'm not the only one!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

Hahahah nice I'm glad I'm not the only one!
            Also one of my favorite things to do is either find twisty road or measure the length of runways at random airports. If i remember correctly Whitemans is 12,216 (excluding the ends of the runway not for use with the yellow chevrons)

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post

wow! good for you man. i remember those days. my son just finished his instrument check ride yesterday. i am so proud of him.

if this is something you really want, you will find a way to get there. you have guys like me around if you need advice along the way.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                wow! good for you man. i remember those days. my son just finished his instrument check ride yesterday. i am so proud of him.

if this is something you really want, you will find a way to get there. you have guys like me around if you need advice along the way.
                Awesome! Is he going for his commercial? I actually love instrument flying. Done a little bit of simulated instrument and I find it super fun.

If all goes well I'm hoping to solo in the next month. Then starts the fun cross country :D

Comment

he also wants to be an airline pilot.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

he also wants to be an airline pilot.
                    Nice! I'm still considering that avenue but haven't decided 100%

Comment

I stopped in at Lackland recently

Lt by ericandshovin, on Flickr
                      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                        I stopped in at Lackland recently

Lt by ericandshovin, on Flickr
                        SR-71 979, second to the last SR-71 to roll off the production line. Flown into Lackland March 6, 1990. Retired with 3321.7 hrs of flight time, the 4th highest of all the SR-71s. Now, if you want a truely crazy number, take that number of hrs and multiply it by 2000 and you will have a close approximation of how many miles were covered in that time. 6643400 miles... Yes, you read that correctly, over 66 million miles. And you thought your E30 had some miles on it

Will
                        '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                        '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                        '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Since SR-71s are the topic at the moment, how about the final flyover of Burbank in December 1989.

Mildenhall 1984 Its interesting that it has a howl like a Vulcan.

976 arriving at Wright Patterson in 1990

Final flight at Edwards. I was there for it.

One last wave to the crowd.

Taxing back following the final flight.

Will
                          Last edited by BlackbirdM3; 03-04-2017, 03:01 PM.
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                            SR-71 979, second to the last SR-71 to roll off the production line. Flown into Lackland March 6, 1990. Retired with 3321.7 hrs of flight time, the 4th highest of all the SR-71s. Now, if you want a truely crazy number, take that number of hrs and multiply it by 2000 and you will have a close approximation of how many miles were covered in that time. 6643400 miles... Yes, you read that correctly, over 66 million miles. And you thought your E30 had some miles on it

Will

Hmmmm.....i think its 6 million?

Anyway, on that note a commercial airliner has an average service life of around 32 years. The average airline utilizes their aircraft about 9.5 hours a day. Generally they all fly around mach .80 plus or minus a few. Obviously, as you alluded, the airplane doesnt spend its entire life cycle at that speed because of takeoffs and landings, flying slow in terminal areas, etc......lets assume an average airspeed of 370mph.

So.....
                            32yrs x 365 days x 9.5 hours x 370mph = aproximately 41 million miles.

One of the nation's ultra low cost carriers is utilizing their airplanes at a rate of 14.5 hrs a day. That makes for a lot of redeyes
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Hmmmm.....i think its 6 million?

Anyway, on that note a commercial airliner has an average service life of around 32 years. The average airline utilizes their aircraft about 9.5 hours a day. Generally they all fly around mach .80 plus or minus a few. Obviously, as you alluded, the airplane doesnt spend its entire life cycle at that speed because of takeoffs and landings, flying slow in terminal areas, etc......lets assume an average airspeed of 370mph.

So.....
                              32yrs x 365 days x 9.5 hours x 370mph = aproximately 41 million miles.

One of the nation's ultra low cost carriers is utilizing their airplanes at a rate of 14.5 hrs a day. That makes for a lot of redeyes
                              3321.7 hours at 2000 mph (cruise speed is roughly 2200 mph, but they obviously slow down for refueling so a very rough average. Heck, pull it back to 1800 mph, its still an impressive number, mostly spent at high speed and high altitude.)

Will
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Don't forget the refuel on the return leg you need to slow down and descend to an Air-Refuel block altitude. Get the pleasure of being on A/R's about once a week now, it funny how some pilots are so miserable at and others are masters. Used to fly with an older O-6 that could do it one handed while smoking a cigarette.
                                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                                X