Oldskoole34's 1987 ETA coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 325eturbo View Post
    It's been a while but if I remember my eta sat higher or the arches were higher I can't remember. So the typical drop others saw I did not. I had kW 60/40 springs and had awful rake. I ended up going with GC coil overs and loved it.

Yes the pre 88 arches are higher and I am running Catuned coilovers (although the rears aren't true coilovers) that are squeezed all the way down but the gap is still massive. Ill be taking out the perch, all spring pads and leaving just the spring to get the height I need.

Anyone with catuned coils on the forum with some input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope I get to see this car in person this season since you're local. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
        I hope I get to see this car in person this season since you're local. :D

Cant wait for the warm/dry weather. Whereabouts are you? I think i have seen your e30 touring in Barrie once.

Comment

Also would love to see it in person as well!
          Steve • Toronto
          1991 318is • Brillantrot
          Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoole34 View Post
            Cant wait for the warm/dry weather.
            I've been working on the car every day in this merely chilly wet weather. I would LOVE your huge unheated garage, trust me, though I'd put a wood stove in it and work in there through the winter. ;)

Without a garage we've been working on the 528e outside usually in the snow and ice. It's nearly at the point where I can take it in for the safety inspection though! The speedometer wasn't working, and that was a huge mission to fix.

Whereabouts are you?
            Small world, isn't it? We're a short drive from the south end of Barrie in the town that Powling grew up in.

I think i have seen your e30 touring in Barrie once.
            Did you see the daytona violet touring? If so, that would have been one of the two times it's been in Barrie since it arrived from Germany. It's the only one in the country at the moment, so it's definitely the same car.

Comment

Small world, isn't it? We're a short drive from the south end of Barrie in the town that Powling grew up in.
              If this weather keeps up I will be putting normal insurance back on the 318 quicker than expected and it'll have to make a trip back home.
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                If this weather keeps up I will be putting normal insurance back on the 318 quicker than expected and it'll have to make a trip back home.
                If this weather keeps up I'll have finished working on the winter car when spring has arrived.

It'll be great to see the work you've done on the car. ;D

Comment

I've been working on the car every day in this merely chilly wet weather. I would LOVE your huge unheated garage, trust me, though I'd put a wood stove in it and work in there through the winter. ;)

Without a garage we've been working on the 528e outside usually in the snow and ice. It's nearly at the point where I can take it in for the safety inspection though! The speedometer wasn't working, and that was a huge mission to fix.

[emoji54]I salute you for that sir. No way in hell anyone will make me go outside to work on a car. I mean the last week has been good but prior to that....I'll pass. Plus too many things happening at work and home to work on the car ATM. Maybe will install the spacers, etc hardware this weekend if I have a free hour and finally put this thing back on the ground.

My speedo acts up too btw. On the to do list. Although may delay it if I begin sourcing parts for a 327i stroker, which is the long term plan.

Did you see the daytona violet touring? If so, that would have been one of the two times it's been in Barrie since it arrived from Germany. It's the only one in the country at the moment, so it's definitely the same car.

Lol [emoji23] I googled Powling though ure referring to some famous dude from a town nearby before I realized you are talking about the other board member. Stupid moment of the day

No it was the lachsilver (i think thats what its called) touring. Flew towards me on 5th line/ veterans before Mapleview.

Is there some sort of a mini meet/german cars and coffee in the area btw?

Comment

[emoji54]Lol [emoji23] I googled Powling though ure referring to some famous dude from a town nearby before I realized you are talking about the other board member. Stupid moment of the day
                    ...my mom thinks I'm famous.
                    Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

...And took a detour to a local photo spot just to take some phone pics.
                      Your car is looking great. Love the houndstooth interior! Great location for the pictures - we used to go hiking on the trails around the old Eaton place all the time. :)

[emoji54]I salute you for that sir. No way in hell anyone will make me go outside to work on a car. I mean the last week has been good but prior to that....I'll pass.
                      Yeah, it's been pretty miserable working on the car in the snow... we seriously need a garage! I can't wait for warmer weather.

No it was the lachsilver (i think thats what its called) touring. Flew towards me on 5th line/ veterans before Mapleview.
                      Cool, that was my old car! It was sold to a member on r3v not too long ago.

Is there some sort of a mini meet/german cars and coffee in the area btw?
                      I think we should start a local E30 meet. There are a bunch of people on r3v who live around the GTA. We might even get famous dudes like Powling to show up. ;D
                      1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
                      Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

Oldskoole34's 1987 ETA coupe.

Finally spacers arrived. However center rings turned out to be much smaller than ordered in the OD. Also the 5mm is too thin. I ended up spinning the lower adjuster on the coilover all the way up( that is the part that was making contact) since it is spun all the way down anyway.
                        Put the 15mm spacer in the back as well and lowered the car on the ground finally.

So the wheels are still only centered by the lug bolts.

Was raining hard when i dis this so just a quick pic from inside the garage.

The pass side front is not yet installed which when done will prob bring the front left a little lower.

Well see..........

Last edited by Oldskoole34; 03-01-2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Also just realized that I don't really like how these look with aluminum colour bolts and shiny centercaps. Much prefer black hardware.

Comment

Got a few outside shots today. Needs to get lower.

Comment

Love the direction you are going with this car. Keep up the work!

Comment

Finally this winter project is done. Well almost. The suspension is installed some of the components are changed. And the wheels are on even though not the ones that were planned.

Was so excited to finally see how it turns out and I am happy with the result. Still needs some tweaking height wise and wheel fitment wise but overall its good!

Still to do:
                                1. Proper OD hub rings: the manufacturer shipped me the wrong OD sized rings.

2. Take out rear spring perches.

3. Take it to the shop to do CA's, Rtabs, subframe bushings, alignment.

Done: front and rear stabilizer links and inner/outer tie rods and new front break pads because old ones dusted too much (the easy stuff). And of course coilovers, 10 mm spacers front, 15mm back and wrong size hub rings:/

Will get better daylight pics soon. Hopefully[emoji106] [emoji106]

Comment

Working...
                                X