No announcement yet.

318i >> 344i - M62B44 Swap From Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to spend a bit of time working on the motor to get it ready to go, dropped my front timing cover to have a crank sensor mount welded on for my OBD1 conversion.

I also had to modify the cam sensor pickup on the M62 to match the location of the M60 pickup at TDC.

Looks ghetto but should do the trick...

Earlier this week I had a special carton arrive :)

SLR Super Angle Lock kit (E36 variant as I am already 5 lug swapped)

Pic of the locally made caster correctors for my 5 lug swap:

Kit installed, just have to have a play with some stock sway bar drop links as my adjustable ones use a larger bolt than the hole in the arms.

Test fitted my Remotec 17x9 +8.... probably not going to work without big fenders haha

Does have some steering lock though...

Once I get my front timing cover back, I can put the motor back together completely and wait for the rest of my parts to arrive. Going to try out some DS2s or Style 32s in 17x7.5 +41 to see how they fit, should be able to get away with a 215/40 front on them without too many clearance issues...
    90 318i M62B44 OBD1
    02 530i Touring (Airlift 3P)

Comment

me gusta. subd'
      i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Got my M62 front cover back with the M60 crank sensor mount welded on which let me reassemble the motor:

Spacing is perfect with the M60 trigger wheel on the front.

Used an E36 harness side X20 connector and extended it to adapt to my E30 C101 plug, just need to wrap it in something then good to go:

Annnnd my TTV lightweight billet steel flywheel showed up along with the Spec stage 3 M52 clutch setup. Being unsprung im not really sure what to expect in terms of engagement but I suppose we will find out soon...

Now just waiting on some bellhousing bolts and my booster relocation + headers and then I can drop it in and really get to work.
        90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

What state? And who's engineering it
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
            What state? And who's engineering it
            QLD and I do what I want because I can get a mod plate over the phone ;)
            90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

So its been a while since I have been able to do any work on the E30 with some house renovations and a new shed happening:

This has given me soooo much more room to get working on the swap so it is coming along quickly now. Also bagged my E39 touring daily...

Got the E30 back into the new shed and got to work. I had the motor and box in before I put it into storage while the shed was built so not too much more needed doing.

Installed a freshly rebuilt 4 clutch 3.25 LSD and the tailshaft along with radiator and hoses and it is super close to drivable now.

Also installed a temporary seat until my new Sparco arrives. Used my VAC bases from the dead white E30 and they work a treat.

Took it for a quick drive up the driveway (without brakes) and it all seems to be working, just need to fit front calipers and bleed brakes and I can go for a quick street test. Waiting on front lines because apparently stock length E30 brake lines arent long enough for my steering lock kit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a3Z4zltvwI
              Last edited by wakdog; 02-19-2017, 06:13 AM.
              90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

God that sounds fucking good
                Also which box did you use? 5 speed out of a 530 or a different one with an adapter plate?
                sigpic

Comment

God that sounds fucking good
                  Also which box did you use? 5 speed out of a 530 or a different one with an adapter plate?
                  Using the 5spd ZF from an E34 530i (oddly enough it came out of a manual swapped 840ci). I have a billet steel flywheel and then a SPEC stage 3 M52 unsprung clutch and pressure plate which bolts up to my M62 fly. I was worried about it being harsh and it being like an on/off switch but you can see in the video it is easy to creep around on the edge of the bite point.
                  Last edited by wakdog; 02-20-2017, 10:26 PM.
                  90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

Ah ok, that's awesome.
                    Mrs has a E34 530 that I want to eventually manual swap and maybe even throw a single huffer on it. I didn't think we had any of those boxes at all in the country
                    sigpic

Comment

Ah ok, that's awesome.
                      Mrs has a E34 530 that I want to eventually manual swap and maybe even throw a single huffer on it. I didn't think we had any of those boxes at all in the country
                      Yeah, not common at all. My mates that own the local BMW wreckers told me that it was mine if I could find it as they knew there was a 5spd somewhere... Didnt help that it was mislabeled as an 840ci box but after about an hour searching I found it...
                      90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

Wish there was someone like that near me that didn't want an arm and a leg for any item.
                        If you ever find another, let me know...
                        sigpic

Comment

Went for a test drive, no brake assist and I forgot to hook up the VSS signal to the DME so it wont go over 4k rpm. Only sensors plugged in were crank and cam sensors and it still wants to fry tyres from 2k rpm haha

https://youtu.be/hX8hv7Jfe5Y
                          90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

That sounds fantastic mate. Keep up the good work
                            If I didn't start a build thread did the build really happen?

Comment

Originally posted by wakdog View Post
                              Went for a test drive, no brake assist and I forgot to hook up the VSS signal to the DME so it wont go over 4k rpm. Only sensors plugged in were crank and cam sensors and it still wants to fry tyres from 2k rpm haha

https://youtu.be/hX8hv7Jfe5Y
                              That sounds so mean! I hate to do this to you again, but what do you mean about the VSS?

Edit- Nevermind, I was just looking through my harness adapter "map" and realized I already have this mentioned. Pin 14 - Pin 14!
                              Last edited by jpod999; 02-27-2017, 03:16 PM.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                                That sounds so mean! I hate to do this to you again, but what do you mean about the VSS?
                                Its the Vehicle Speed Sensor, I need to pull a speed output from the cluster and feed it to the DME. I have isolated the wire in the harness, just need to hook it up to the back of my cluster while im doing my V8 tacho chip.
                                90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

Working...
                                X