Driveshaft Not Installing Correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft Not Installing Correctly

I'm almost done with my guibo/CSB replacement, but something is wrong with the old driveshaft. It's like it is too short - the only way to install it is with the spline halfway out. Also the spline clamp that is supposed to hold the 2 pieces together doesn't seem to do anything.

I think my CSB is installed correctly... any ideas?

EDIT: There was no rubber/plastic piece inside of the spline clamp, just a toothed washer.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

That can't be right... can it?

Comment

Should have the insert that would have tightened the two halves together. You should not have been able to bottom that lock nut like that.

Checked your engine and transmission mounts?

Comment

I buttoned everything back up and went for a test drive and it seems fine. If there is no imminent danger with the inner sleeve missing, I'll probably just leave it off as I don't feel like getting under the car again.

Engine mounts are the originals, they are compressed but AFAIK, otherwise fine. Transmission mounts just replaced. My guibo was the original BMW stamped one and it was completely trashed.

Does anyone know if working on cars result in gains? Worked under the car all day and I feel sore as hell! If nothing else my neck is going to get huge from straining.

Comment

Odd, I also didn't have the toothed sleeve 26117514037 part. I wonder if that was factory or if our cars had the same butter-fingered mechanic some years ago...

Comment

I have the same issue with a driveshaft I bought,no toothed sleeve just a thin metal tooth washer that appears to do nothing.The driveshaft in my car now is the original one it will be interesting to see what is there ,I am thinking now the original installation did not use the plastic tooth sleeve.

Comment

Over time the toothed plastic piece turns into mush. Just order a new one for $8 from Febi and do it the right way. The 3 pieced tooth washer should be tween the cap and the new plastic piece

Comment

Working...
              X