Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squirley Coolant temp

Hey Guys,

Got a questions regarding my coolant temp.

I'm running MS2pnp

So my temp gauge on my gauge cluster works just fine. The gauge on the megasquirt works just fine as well during start up and beginning of driving. Once it warms up and during driving the coolant temp drops down to like 70 or 80 Degrees F. Can anyone comment on this or let me know if this has happened to them before. I was maybe thinking of a faulty sensor? The gauge on my cluster stays fine and hangs right around the midpoint where it should. Any related info would be helpful

Thanks,

Did you tell the MS which coolant temp sensor you are using? There should specifically be a Bosch E30 option, or something very similar. There is a calibration curve for every sensor and if it's not set properly it can mess with your readings. If it's working in the dash, it's definitely an MS config problem.

In Tuner Studio, top left corner:

"Tools" > "Calibrate Thermistor Tables"
    1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
    5-Speed Swapped
    M30B35 Swapped
    MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
    260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

^yup, what he said

Comment

Originally posted by EatsHondas View Post
        Did you tell the MS which coolant temp sensor you are using? There should specifically be a Bosch E30 option, or something very similar. There is a calibration curve for every sensor and if it's not set properly it can mess with your readings. If it's working in the dash, it's definitely an MS config problem.

Been MIA for a bit. I will check this out. I definitely did not know about that setting and will try it out later. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by EatsHondas View Post

Could you screen shot me your calibration curve? I cant seem to figure it out.

Comment

Lifted from the DIYautotune site... I use these values with no problems.

It's been a couple years, but IIRC, there's a common sensors dropdown where you can select BMW 325 or something like that and it will prepopulate the curve with these same values.

For the CLT, use the following table with a bias resistor setting of 2490 ohms:

Code:
            Temperature F / C     Resistance In Ohms
            14 / -10                  9500
            68 / 20                   2500
            176 / 80                  330
            Enter these values, and click ‘Write to Controller’.

Now you’ll do the same for the IAT. Select ‘Intake Temperature Sensor’ at the top in the drop down box. (NOTE – If you are removing your MAF/AFM as a part of the DIYPNP installation process, do not recalibrate your IAT Sensor now)

For the IAT, use the following table with a bias resistor setting of 2490 ohms:

Code:
            Enter these values, and click ‘Write to Controller’. Now click Close to Exit.

Comment

Originally posted by keyland View Post

It's been a couple years, but IIRC, there's a common sensors dropdown where you can select BMW 325 or something like that and it will prepopulate the curve with these same values.

Code:

Now you’ll do the same for the IAT. Select ‘Intake Temperature Sensor’ at the top in the drop down box. (NOTE – If you are removing your MAF/AFM as a part of the DIYPNP installation process, do not recalibrate your IAT Sensor now)

Code:

Ok i found the other day the drop down for the bmw 325. and hopefully that works. I haven't had a chance to check how accurate it really is since the gauge cluster is just a needle with no number readings.

Also, as far as the IAT sensor goes. I wired in a GM sensor to the existing wires from the MAF sensor which was removed. Do I go along with this calibration process you listed. It is the standard gm IAT sensor that is recommended for megasquirt and I welded a bung in my intercooler piping about 8 inches from my throttle body. Let me know because i saw your note about the IAT sensor and it was slightly confusing.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

there's been a drop down in the menu of Tuner Studio for the E30 sensor for almost 10 years now. You don't need to manually enter them in. ;)

also the IAT settings will depend on what IAT you are using. Since you can literally use anything, don't just take random settings off the internet. Find the sensor you have, and use the settings specific to it. Many people have used the GM sensor and it's already got a calibration in the Tuner Studio menu. Use that.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Code:

Code:
                  I tried doing this yesterday and it did not correct the problem...any other ideas of troubleshooting?

Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Code:

Code:
                    Still did not qork. Any other ideas? Faulty cts? I don't think it's Faulty because my stock gauge works fine...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe there are 2 seperate cts. One is a 1 wire that goes to the cluster. The other is a 2 wire that goes to the ecu/megasquirt.

Comment

kyleconstantine is right, there are two sensors. Your sensor is probably bad. With the engine warmed up unplug the sensor and probe the sensor's pins with a multimeter, if the resistance is over 400Ω the sensor is bad.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          there's been a drop down in the menu of Tuner Studio for the E30 sensor for almost 10 years now. You don't need to manually enter them in. ;)

also the IAT settings will depend on what IAT you are using. Since you can literally use anything, don't just take random settings off the internet. Find the sensor you have, and use the settings specific to it. Many people have used the GM sensor and it's already got a calibration in the Tuner Studio menu. Use that.
                          So the other day I took the e30 out for a ride. It had been out once during the winter when it was nice but yesterday was the first real time I took it out to mess around with the idle. I had replaced the Coolant temp sensor in hopes that it was the culprit. However even with a new CLT sensor the readings were still off. The gauge that I pull up in tuner studio says it only reaches about 60 degrees when warmed up. And I feel like this has to do with my idle issues as well. Basically I think its telling the PNP that my car isn't warming up when the gauge in the cluster is pegged right in the middle where its supposed to be. I tried re writing to the controller using the calibration drop down menu and selecting the e30 325i CLT and it didn't help.

I tried emailing whodwho but I know he is a hard guy to get a hold of.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

I'm having a bit of trouble with this...any ideas?

Comment

Sensor could be bad, or it could be the wrong sensor, or the bias resistor could be wrong. I've been using the settings in the drop down for years without issue.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X