Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forward Top Adjustment

Hi all,
    I'm looking to get some advice/instruction on how to move my electric convertible top forward.

I've located the frame support shims on the back and it looks like the previous owner did a bit of a hack job. There are a lot of shims back there and while the top is aligned, it could be moved forward a bit.

This is because the rear of the top scrapes against the tonneau cover and there is a lot of wind-noise coming from the front. All signs point to a 1 or 2 mm adjustment forward.

My technical skills are limited, but can someone explain to me in a technical way how to make this adjustment? Does it require me loosening that rear support nut and adding shims to move it forward? Removing shims?

What does this look like? Do I loosen the nut and lift the frame off the bolt?

It looks like the previous owner added circular washers/shims...not the C shims that are usually put on there. Does this mean I will have to lift the top off the bolt to remove them? Can this be done easily?

Anyways, any help here is much appreciated.
    Last edited by mugenius; 06-10-2017, 11:57 AM.

There are some technical videos on youtube related to the convertible top. The adjustment should consist of adjust four nuts. There are two on the upright portion that should have shims so that you can set if forwards or backwards. Then there are four on the floor of the storage compartment that control the height.

If the shims are not c shaped then yes you will need to remove the whole thing to get those out. This is exactly why they are c shaped so that you can manipulate it, measure, adjust shims, lather, rinse, repeat until it is set.

It has been awhile since I did mine but I followed some instructions that had me set a straight edge across the top of the body and add shims until I was at some length. I do not recall exactly what that was right now. The front went along the lines of securing the front latches and then adding shims until it was secure then bolting it down. Sorry, I wish I knew where those instructions came from exactly. Most likely the e30 convertible top adjustment series.

Looks like the deeper one is 159mm per this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trHP1oI1R38
    Last edited by Dagamus(NM); 06-10-2017, 11:26 AM.
    sigpic
    Gun control means using both hands
    Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
      There are some technical videos on youtube related to the convertible top. The adjustment should consist of adjust four nuts. There are two on the upright portion that should have shims so that you can set if forwards or backwards. Then there are four on the floor of the storage compartment that control the height.

If the shims are not c shaped then yes you will need to remove the whole thing to get those out. This is exactly why they are c shaped so that you can manipulate it, measure, adjust shims, lather, rinse, repeat until it is set.

It has been awhile since I did mine but I followed some instructions that had me set a straight edge across the top of the body and add shims until I was at some length. I do not recall exactly what that was right now. The front went along the lines of securing the front latches and then adding shims until it was secure then bolting it down. Sorry, I wish I knew where those instructions came from exactly. Most likely the e30 convertible top adjustment series.

Looks like the deeper one is 159mm per this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trHP1oI1R38
      This may sound silly but does the process change for an electric motor top?

Comment

It does not.
        sigpic
        Gun control means using both hands
        Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Working...
        X