Is my gas tank dented?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my gas tank dented?

And should I care? I dont know how I didnt notice before, probably because I havent had the car on jack stands lately.

I am wonder if the PO jacked the car up on the tank.

Since I am pulling down subframe, diff etc, should I replace the tank, are the aftermarket ones ok?

[/url]
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Uh, yeah. It's dented.

As far as caring, that depends. If it isn't kinked anywhere you don't really need to worry about leaks, so the big difference will be lost capacity. I have a dent in my tank thanks to the barbarian who owned my car before me, but I'll maybe get around to replacing it sometime. It's not that high on the list.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

yes and it is a major dent

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
        Uh, yeah. It's dented.

As far as caring, that depends. If it isn't kinked anywhere you don't really need to worry about leaks, so the big difference will be lost capacity. I have a dent in my tank thanks to the barbarian who owned my car before me, but I'll maybe get around to replacing it sometime. It's not that high on the list.
        Yea I have a feeling the PO didnt know how to use a jack, either that or he hit something hard but the rest of the area around it is fine so I am thinking jack.

I guess since I will have everything out I might as well replace it. Will aftermarket be ok, I try to stick with OEM but $1000 for a tank is pretty steep.

Comment

My car has the same shit. People.
          1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

here is what i would do. pull out one of your sending units and look to see if you have rust. if you do, i would think about replacement. otherwise, what you have going on there isn't going to hurt anything. i would just leave it alone if the inside is good.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
              here is what i would do. pull out one of your sending units and look to see if you have rust. if you do, i would think about replacement. otherwise, what you have going on there isn't going to hurt anything. i would just leave it alone if the inside is good.
              Good idea, I replaced both sending units when I bought the car, but never really looked deep inside the tank to check for rust. I am either going to replace it now or never, once I put the subframe, diff, exhaust and stuff back up I am not going to want to do it later.

Comment

I recently saw forcedfirebird saying he's done a lot of tank replacements lately; message him and see if he's used OEM, aftermarket, or both.
                Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                  I recently saw forcedfirebird saying he's done a lot of tank replacements lately; message him and see if he's used OEM, aftermarket, or both.
                  Thanks I will check him out.

Comment

If I had a dollar for every E30 I have been under with a dented tank, people love them as jack points it seems haha
                    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
                    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                    92 525it 5 speed.
                    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
                      If I had a dollar for every E30 I have been under with a dented tank, people love them as jack points it seems haha
                      Yea I dont know why, I mean I guess its close lol.

Comment

Here is another thought, has anyone repaired one of these tanks? Get it cleaned out and sealed? I may be about the same as an aftermarket tank but it would at least be OEM.

Comment

Happens all the time with other types of tanks, nothing wrong with doing that as long as the tank is physically okay.

Comment

Working...
                          X