Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stubbornness Is a virtue, Isn't it ? H28 Replica !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stubbornness Is a virtue, Isn't it ? H28 Replica !

Hi Everyone !

I'm here to tell you the long story of my 325i coupe and its restoration ..

Not for the faint-hearted !

Let's go back to May 2011 .. I acquire this 1985's Bmw 325i coupe In a color you all love, Bronzitbeige mettalic !

200 000km ( 125 000 miles ), An engine in an extremly good condition which drives better than most of the 325i I have ever driven .

Back then, I didn't have the idea of how much an e30 could be rusted .

The paint was faded, clear coat was peeling off, A lot of reason to love this car !

the interior in PERFECT condition !

A little bit of Rust ? Not important, Don't worry ! How bad could it be ?

Ready for the next step ?

Do you like bronzitbeige ? I did, but what did I like even more ?

ALPINWEISS OF COURSE !

Could we do the paint ourselves ? Why not !

Let the work begin, Some paint, primer, sandpaper from Ebay for a really good price, and let's go !

Part by part, everything follow its path, No cutting, No buffing, the paint is PERFECT, !

it Looks pretty good, isn't it ? We are now in July 2011 and I can't wait to finish the paint !
    Last edited by parera; 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

But first, I need to fix that fender but wait, I have never weld of my life, and all I have is my Granpa's Arc welder ! That will do the trick !

By the way, Why not make my own Hartge replica gauge pod , leather Covered !

Let strip the interior, in case of some more rust ?

Damn .

I then bought a Frontspoiler, pretty rare in France ...

And when the car is ready to be totally painted, My friend who was helping me moved 300km far from me, I'm stuck now, I don't have any garage, the car is stripped, I'm fu**** ..

When someone contact me, we are now in November 2011, he will fix the rust, finish the paint etc.. Fantastic ! :)

In the meantime, I got my hand on an Hartge muffler, Great !

Everything is now too good to be true in Fact !
      Last edited by parera; 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Annnddddd, The paint is totally fuck** up ! It can't be fixed due to the fact that the paint has been laid down over scratch, dust and rust !

I'm now ruined, The guy who has a " restoration garage " won't do anything about it, I lost all my product, paint, primer, sandpaper that I paid for .. I'm desperate !

But Did I mention that he had to fix the rust also ?

Now wait, There is more !
        Last edited by parera; 01-01-2014, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Looks like a good project. I would like to see the Hartge parts when you add them to your e30.
          Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks for your message ! Don't worry It's coming ! :)

We are now Early january 2012 ! And I now have a garage where I can put my car !

Let now have a look on the WONDERFUL rust Fix made by the bmw enthusiast !

Some tack weld, a little bit of paint on it, FIXED !

Fantastic, I now have to start all over again from this shit ! Have no money, no equipment, but I do have a garage !

So what is the solution ?

Comment

STRIPPING THE CAR DOWN TO BARE METAL !

I buy a Used compressor, a cheap orbital sander and let's go !

EPOXY PRIMER !! ( I don't Paint in the garage, since the floor is only dust )

Fixing adjustment betweend fender and hood ( You can also see the Windshield bay was rusted, and fixed ! )

Last edited by parera; 01-01-2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Now, let's the fun part begin !

Hartge Wood knob ! Alcantara boot shift !

Hartge rear bumper

Hartge front bumper, Fiberglass replica ( Look worse than it actual condition )

Startec Tail light, Which looks absolutely BRAND NEW !!

Alcantara interior, Homemade ( first time I used a sewing machine of my life ! ) The Houndstooth fabric will be kept on the center !

I don't have any pictures, But I do also Have the Hartge H35 rear trunk spoiler, and both of the Hartge side skirt, and Also 15 inches Hartge rim while I'm Waiting to find a good opportunity for 3 piece Hartge !
                Last edited by parera; 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

NICE WORK! Keep it going!

Comment

This is for the Esthetic part, Let go to the body now here we have :

- 4 Hartge/bilstein Shock Absorber
                    - Full set of Polyurethane bushes
                    - Brand new Brake, no swap for now ..
                    - e36 steering rack
                    - Classic LSD on the back

What about the engine ?

- Hartge Muffler
                    - Homemade stainless exhaust ( sorry for the mess ):

- Annnnndddddd, the last : M30B28 Hartge with a Rare Hartge header for the M30 !

I will make as much pictures as I can soon, The time is pretty cold now, and I can't work on the car, I Will have to Show you the whole work on the rust !

Here is a preview !

And I wanted to say something Else, My grandpa who was a former mechanics Helped me a lot during my life and I learnt a lot thanks to him, He helped me with the restoration of the car, fixed my alternator, my engine when I had a problem and has always been the best car enthusiast and he knew absolutely everything about cars ..

He left us dramatically on April 2013, at age 87, I want to thank him for everything, I miss him a lot, he was the only person I worked with because he was the only one who was truly passionated and he was always supporting and encouraging me .

I feel alone without him now, Even if i can share my passion with people all around the world .

So this thread, and this restoration will be a dedication and a tribute to him !

Last edited by parera; 01-01-2014, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Who wants to see an Old and dusty Hartge engine, which has been stored during 10 years and now needs a full rebuild ?

Comment

Nice to see a Hartge H28 m30 motor.
                        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Subscribed! I too had a grandfather that inspired me. What a great tribute to him! You will stay motivated for him I am sure.
                          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it !

Comment

Wow, great project! I'm excited to see more of the motor :)

Comment

Working...
                              X