New lock strip on windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New lock strip on windshield?

Do you guys generally replace the lock strip on the windshield gasket when you change glass? Does it get brittle or break? Or just re-use it?

Thanks -

I did because the guys that put in my glass mangled it all up. The new one fits nice and snug with the new plastic strip.

Comment

The black strip seems to last. It's the chrome one that browns and breaks when removed.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

The original chrome lock strips probably need to be replaced and the black ones are probably brittle and easily damaged upon removal.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Jason - nice Fred avatar!

So this piece isn't metal? It comes in a coil?

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            The original chrome lock strips probably need to be replaced and the black ones are probably brittle and easily damaged upon removal.
            I've pulled/installed many black window lockstrips. They seem to be VERY resilient.
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
              Jason - nice Fred avatar!

So this piece isn't metal? It comes in a coil?
              It's reinforced and comes in the correct shape.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Yeah these FredK avatars are cracking me up!

But the two new chrome lock strips I bought came rolled up and I used a heat gun to help with install. Only metal is the small piece that fills the gap between the strips.

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Right, OK. Thanks!

Comment

On the topic of lockstrips, anyone had theirs shrink when reinstalling it? Mine sat over the winter and shrunk when I put it back on the car in the summer. I even let it sit in the sun for a while before putting it back in.

Comment

I just had new seals and lock strips put on my car. I went with URO seal on front and BMW on rear, and all genuine BMW Lock strips on black. My lock strips were a little long and needed to be trimmed at the end which is typical I guess according to my glass guy.

It took him and his helper 2 hours to do it all. The lock strip was the hardest part. Both brand seals fit nice and worked well for me.

Comment

If you are going to replace the front strip, don't try to save money and buy off ebay...I made that mistake and the one I bought was too short, even though the ebay listing referenced the correct OEM part number. I got a genuine BMW item and it was the right length

Comment

The "chrome" ones seem to have a plastic sleeve that doesnt hold the finish very well or survive long term without cracking. The black ones are epdm/hdpe which is far more durable. Mark where the metal,cover piece is and start the lock strip about 1/4" under one edge of the trim piece. Nothing worse than wrestling that bitch all the way around the windshield to find out you should have started a fraction of an inch over
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Any good suggestions on where to get this? Replacing the windshield next week as an xmas present. OEM is pretty steep, nearby dealers (two states away) don't have in stock. Blunt? Are there decent aftermarket ones?

Thanks -

Comment

I got mine used but recall not being able to find an aftermarket source. Blunt is always a good option even for dealer only parts.
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                              X