Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i need a spring compressor to remove e30 m3 stock front springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do i need a spring compressor to remove e30 m3 stock front springs?

Obviously it's better to use a compressor but for e30 m3 is there really that much tension in the front springs to worry about when removing with airgun?

people who live on the side of danger just put that strut on some grass, step on the spring, hit the top nut with impact, boom it comes apart.
    sigpic

Comment

auto zone rents them for free. there is about 150lbs of preload on them. you don't need one but that could also be said of one of your eyes as well. just rent one real quick
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

I had no idea it was free. Definitely not worth the injury. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
          auto zone rents them for free. there is about 150lbs of preload on them. you don't need one but that could also be said of one of your eyes as well. just rent one real quick
          +1 Most auto parts stores rent tools for free. Obvious you have to pay for tool to "check out/loan" it but get back your money. I did this until just got some cheap Harbor Freights ones for like $10.

Comment

Put one of your wheel on top of the spring and have your fat friend sit on it. It is not as bad, everyone is just overrating it. You will need one though if you're installing them back with stock shocks.
            Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

I've pulled lots of springs but they're usually lower springs with no tension. Got the compressor, plus the forks for the ball joints. Any tips for removing ball joints with tearing?

Comment

Thread the nut onto the stud so you don't mushroom the threads and whack it with a hammer. It'll come loose.
                -Alex

Comment

Well got everything apart with the exception of one lollipop stuck on the conteol arm. Definitely recommend compressors it would have popped for sure without them. Btw i scored a complete e30 m3 front suspension with aluminum control arms for $450, hell yeah. My plan is to use existingsuspension on car plus this and have complete stock and track suspensions that i can swap out between

Comment

With a couple good swings with a BFH you can pop ball joints out of the spindle. I had to press the control arm bushings off the control arm and out of the lollipop. I hated those.

Comment

I actually used the fork for the tie rod end but whacked tbe control arm cuz none of the forks were the right size in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                        people who live on the side of danger just put that strut on some grass, step on the spring, hit the top nut with impact, boom it comes apart.
                        I do it that way all the time. Actually, I'd rather do it that way - there is actually a lot less potential energy to be released than when compressing the spring all the way to remove it.

Significantly less, in fact. All that should be compressed with the springs in the strut are basically the dead coils (they just hold the spring in place). You're talking 40-50lbs of force at most. When you compress it 2-3 inches, there could be 600-800lb of force snapping at you if the half-worn out spring compressor you borrowed breaks (or the Chinese one from HF).

Not much really happens, nothing goes flying, and it's really quick. win/win.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                          How dangerous are we talking? I've got the impact to do this.

Comment

Ok put it this way, your going to need the tool when it comes time to reassemble them.
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

who puts stock springs back in these days? Usually the new springs are so much shorter, it goes back together without compressing anything.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X