Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching air bag to non air bag wheel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching air bag to non air bag wheel...

Switching from airbag steering wheel to an older momo... where exactly do I attach the horn wire and horn ground/earth once I run the button wires through the hub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black + goes through the hub to horn contact ring. This is the wire coming through the hub. Yellow is ground anywhere on the hub itself. You can sandwich it between the wheel and hub if you want. You probably still need your washers/spacers between the hub and the mounting nut since you have an airbag car.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Black + goes through the hub to horn contact ring. This is the wire coming through the hub. Yellow is ground anywhere on the hub itself. You can sandwich it between the wheel and hub if you want.

Thanks brotha... Awesome ... now where exactly is he horn contact ring? Is it the screw to the 5 o'clock side? LOL ... sorry, I'm a noob with late model e30's

Comment

You're also going to need to cut/pull/remove that white plug up at 11'oclock.

You'll need (2) total of the spacers- you should have one on there stock if your removing the airbag wheel now. So you'll need to get another one- 32311120260

I actually ordered an extra one, I can send it over tomorrow for $10 if you're rushed to get this done, I'm in PA.
        555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
        '95 BMW e34 525i
        '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
        '92 Range Rover Classic
        '90 Range Rover Classic
        '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
        '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
        '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
        '67 Pontiac LeMans
        '24 Model T Depot Hack
        ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post

You'll need (2) total of the spacers- you should have one on there stock if your removing the airbag wheel now. So you'll need to get another one- 32311120260

I actually ordered an extra one, I can send it over tomorrow for $10 if you're rushed to get this done, I'm in PA.

Haha... a step ahead, I have that spacer/collar already (32311120260) but the only other spacer I have is the stock thinner one that's basically a washer which will sit right behind the nut... why other spacer do I need?
          I also pulled that pin out as well but where do I attach the horn button wire when I run it through the hub? Is it the screw at 5 o'clock? And thanks for the offer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post

Just realized looking at my own photo the stock spacer is actually still on there, I'll just leave that alone... I'm assuming the order is ... stock spacer, hub, early model spacer, washer and Nut...
            if I'm not mistaken? Only other issue with where the horn contact ring is... I still can't figure that out...

Comment

Originally posted by ypresman View Post
              Only other issue with where the horn contact ring is... I still can't figure that out...

The white / brass button @ 6 o'clock on the column is the horn contact. Your hub will have a 360 ring built into it that contacts that button.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by e30sh View Post
                The white / brass button @ 6 o'clock on the column is the horn contact. Your hub will have a 360 ring built into it that contacts that button.

Good luck

Thanks for the info brotha... so far everything is coming together very well.. almost done rebuilding and updating the cluster as well...

Comment

Working...
                X