No announcement yet.

91 318is GT car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you really running stock brakes with PFC's only? Any other cooling going on?

I have a track car with 200k on the m20 and stock Brembo blanks/PFC08's. We've been thinking about upgrading the engine to something with more power (S52) but I've been reading that brakes need to be upgraded first. You're making me think that might not be the case.

How does the stock setup deal with all that extra power? Are you easier on them, get any fade, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
      Are you really running stock brakes with PFC's only? Any other cooling going on?

I have a track car with 200k on the m20 and stock Brembo blanks/PFC08's. We've been thinking about upgrading the engine to something with more power (S52) but I've been reading that brakes need to be upgraded first. You're making me think that might not be the case.

How does the stock setup deal with all that extra power? Are you easier on them, get any fade, etc?
      We run stock calipers and rotors front and rear, cooling in the front with 01's.
      They are great, BUT, the car only weighs 2100 pounds with me in it, and fuel. This makes a massive difference.
      Paul

91 318is GT3
      08 328xi wagon

Comment

You inspire me, sir. Might have to give Rebello Racing a call. . . My M42 needs some life.
        From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters.

Originally posted by lambo
        Fuck studying. Party hard.

Comment

unfortunetly this car was crashed this past weekend, I was punted off in a very fast section of track and sent into the trees at high speed. Took a direct tree hit to the A-pillar, pushing the firewall over quite a bit. Not sure yet if its fixable.
          Motor is ok though, so that's good..

Last edited by pmachan; 08-27-2015, 07:30 PM.
          Paul

91 318is GT3
          08 328xi wagon

Comment

Ugh...I've been there.
            Glad you walked away.
            Hope the car will live on to race another day!
            sigpic
            1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
            2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Unfortunately, that's a death kneel on these cars. Salvage what you can, find another shell and move everything over.. You'll be back!
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

glad u r ok.
                I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I am really hoping its fixable somehow, this chassis has had extensive lightening that I don't want to do! Car is under 2100lbs with me in it and fuel.
                  Finding a rust free shell where I live is about as easy as finding a sasquatch.
                  They don't exist.
                  Paul

91 318is GT3
                  08 328xi wagon

Comment

I would take a shell with a little rust over trying to salvage it. Rust can be removed/patched/ignored - my own car has it's fair share in some parts.

But remember, it's racing - not a concourse.

:)
                    Last edited by djjerme; 08-27-2015, 01:05 PM.
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Sorry to hear man! I love watching your videos. Sorry for your loss, but most importantly, we're all glad that you made it out OK.

Comment

Huge bummer. Glad you're ok. If the A-pillar and firewall are smashed, it would be way more work to cut and weld the new section in from a donor than to find a rusty shell and fix it up a bit.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

This is the first time seeing this thread.

I wonder what the price is of a Rebello head?

Sucks about the crash but hope you get it going again, this is like my dream build.
                          sigpic

Comment

do you know if rebello sell the solid lifter kit? been keen to find one
                            sigpic

Comment

Solid lifter kit came from Metric Mechanic.

Doing up an M42 is expensive. the 2.1 rallye engine MM builds is around $10k and makes 210hp or so I think, we had that engine originally and blew it up.
                              The Rebello engine makes quite a bit more power and cost quite a bit more.
                              Paul

91 318is GT3
                              08 328xi wagon

Comment

I would guess as much. I would expect something in the range of 30-40k
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X