Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need To Remove Head Right After Install-Never Ran-Can I Reuse Headgasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need To Remove Head Right After Install-Never Ran-Can I Reuse Headgasket?

Ok, so my headgasket job isn't going too well. I installed the head, torqued the bolts, and then went to install the small bolts at the front of the head, going into the timing case. And then I heard it snap. Bottom line, I have to take the head off to get the broken screw out. While I will need to order new head bolts and timing case bolts, is it ok to use the headgasket? It is new, with a coating of copper spray. Or, is the gasket now too far compressed and in need of replacement as well? If someone could help me out here that would be great.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

once you've crushed it, you can't reuse it. not really worth even trying though is it?

Comment

I wouldn't risk it.

Comment

Damn that would piss me off. I for one, think you should try it. But only because I want to know if it'll work. Lots of people say never reuse (or even just re-compress like your situation), but I wonder who has actually done it and had bad results vs who has just read that you shouldn't and are just repeating what they've read.
        Originally posted by Andy.B
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I've seen copper crush rings on oil drain plugs leak from being reused, and there's not even that much pressure behind that seal.

You're talking about sealing against combustion forces? For many thousands of miles and millions of revolutions? why a gasket that got deformed one time would still seal properly after the head being removed and placed back on again is beyond me.

If your head has to come off, it needs a new gasket. Go get one. don't forget the head bolts too.

Or, reuse it, and blow it up at an inconvenient time, get towed back to your house where you have to spend another day redoing it. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Comment

There are numerous stories about head gaskets that blow for no reason. I haven't read a single one about a re-compressed/un-used that went bad. I haven't read any stories about a reused head gasket actually. Somebody has got to try it sometime. Take one for the team!!!! You may become our hero.

Also, I just compared the length of a used head bolt to a new one. Guess what? No difference in length. Craaaaaaazy, right?
            Originally posted by Andy.B
            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'd replace it. Doing the gasket again later is going to be a big pain in the ass.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It's not the overall length that changes on the head bolts it's the individual threads bend with all the torque, you can tell if you put them side to side new and used

I once had to reuse just 1 head bolt (they sent me a bent one in the set) and just 1 old used headbolt messed it up but as for head gasket

Comment

cars beep boop

Comment

^ in theory i'm on board with this dude saying that nothing changes if its not been fired. However when it comes to application, its not worth having to do the job again if something gets nicked or damaged. You're already ordering parts, just get a fresh gasket so that you don't have to be paranoid during road trips/track events etc

Comment

"in theory, theory and practice should be the same. in practice, this is rarely true."
                      cars beep boop

Comment

At the machine shop i work at we have reused head gaskets that were torqed and never fired. We always coated it with copper spray before reinstalling

Comment

Working...
                        X