No announcement yet.

To keep or not to keep? 1978 320i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As mentioned.... I would strip the inside & pull the bumpers to see what shape the body is in. Also, (and I'm not joking because I HATE spiders) I would bug bomb the interior, trunk, and maybe even the engine compartment to kill all the little critters. Those yellow ones do bite, I believe (google "yellow sac spider"). We get them inside the house here in OH and they make little nests in the corners of walls, ceilings, etc.

Once the 8-legged vermin has been eradicated, go to town with a power washer and get it up and running!

Good luck!
    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
    '95 525iT
    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '98 Disco 1

Comment

My experience with e21s is that they suck.
      -former e21 owner

-NICK

Comment

You lost me at spiders. Ideal solution: http://xm42.com/
        1998 M3 - Sold
        1991 318i - Sold
        1998 323is - Daily
        1986 325es - Project

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
          part it. Its an E21
          Don't know if you remember this or not, but back in 2008 or 2009, when we were just warming up to each other as lifelong friends, I asked you to sell a set of e21 recaros on the FAQ. I remember saying sell them for whatever and you keep $50 out of the deal. You threw them on the FAQ (before I even know what that was) and they were sold in an hour for full asking price. IIRC, you sold them for $325.

Thanks for that. I didn't know you very well and yet you helped me out.

And to OP, don't keep it. The only e21 worth keeping is an iS (if clean enough and you drunk enough with extremely low standards), or an e21 323i. Light the rest on fire. I've parted out 3 e21s, two of which were iS cars.
          world renown Harry Potter expert
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post

And to OP, don't keep it. The only e21 worth keeping is an iS (if clean enough and you drunk enough with extremely low standards), or an e21 323i. Light the rest on fire. I've parted out 3 e21s, two of which were iS cars.
            The next hot BMW will be the E21 and everyone will wish they didn't scrap them

I don't care for them myself barely lighter than a E30 with inferior suspension and only engine choice is a jetronic M10
            1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
            2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
            2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinl View Post
              The next hot BMW will be the E21 and everyone will wish they didn't scrap them

I don't care for them myself barely lighter than a E30 with inferior suspension and only engine choice is a jetronic M10
              I'm willing to put money down that you're wrong. Nobody understands L-Jetronic. That's why BMW scrapped it so quickly. It literally doesn't make sense.

The e21 is underpowered, underperforming, and overall something of a failure as a sports car.

Now that's not to say that I don't like them, because I do. I will have a nice one some day, but I'd be lying to you if I said they are great cars, because they aren't. They are ok at best.
              world renown Harry Potter expert
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                I'm willing to put money down that you're wrong. Nobody understands L-Jetronic. That's why BMW scrapped it so quickly. It literally doesn't make sense.

The e21 is underpowered, underperforming, and overall something of a failure as a sports car.

Now that's not to say that I don't like them, because I do. I will have a nice one some day, but I'd be lying to you if I said they are great cars, because they aren't. They are ok at best.
                +1

The e21 is like the worst 3 series ever. The engine is bad, the brakes are bad, they don't look that great. I don't think they'll ever take off.

Clean it up, getting it running and sell it. Then use that money on your e30.

Comment

I'm amazed at the level of dislike for the E21, if it's not rusty it'd be hot property here. Get those 'orrible Fed Spec bumpers off it and that's a pretty little car.

OK it's no E30, but performance isn't everything. That car oozes 70s retro, those original rims are amazing, it has real potential as an uber cool daily cruiser. Who needs to go fast when you look cool?

Comment

E21s only good thing is it looks like a baby e28.

Otherwise....nothing impressive about them.
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

TL; DR

Part it.

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                      E21s only good thing is it looks like a baby e28.

Otherwise....nothing impressive about them.

What's so impressive about a e28?

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                        What's so impressive about a e28?
                        More like

1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Comment

Money pitttttttttttt!!!!!!!!
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Clean the hell out of it and get it back on the road. I bet you could spend $1,000 or less and have that thing running and driving nice. E21's are fun little cars. You could daily it for a bit and then sell it.

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                              Bluebird Bus Conversion
                              New Oregon Trail

Comment

Working...
                              X