No announcement yet.

DIY: Undo the bitch clip the easy way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm at this point. I've already removed the trans brace and also removed the nuts and bolts that attach to the driveshaft to allow the tranny to tilt and get some angle but the tranny isn't moving.

Do I need to remove all 6 of the nuts and bolts on the giubo, or should I loosen the motor mounts?

I'll be heading to Harbor Freight today to confirm if the tool is NLA, a new HF just opened by my house so it's not a huge waste of time to go
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

i modified a curved HF pick and it worked perfectly. i'll try to upload a pic when they are done fixing my wifi. the key is to see it all exploded rather than working blind.

fortunately i had a spare trans and shifter to fab the tool with some precision so took me a couple of minutes. that's after spending 3 days trying to install a new shift joint for my dssr without removing the bitch clip. lesson#4976...do not bother trying to install the shift joint pin from below
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

DIY: Undo the bitch clip the easy way.

Can confirm that HF no longer sells that tool but I went across the street to pep boys and they had it . $10 + tax and not much later the clip was ready to come out. Rather than fight repeatedly with it, I took my time making sure it was "hooked in" and off it came. Sliding it out was still a bitch but lesson #2 is that it's easier to use the right tools than to try fight with something similar that might work. Work smarter not harder
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

I have done this job with and without the tool. Definitely a "work smarter, not harder" situation without question.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I replaced mine with a clevis pin. Problem solved.

Comment

I replaced mine with a M12 shoulder bolt and a lock nut. Problem solved.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I replaced mine with nail, just bent at both ends

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

No remove to remove B-Clip

I got the clip up w a screwdriver, but there wasn't enough clearance to lift the clip up all the way so that I could easily pop the pin out.

I had to loosen the bolts below the transmission mounts to allow enough room for me to get the clip up enough to get out. I just got this e30 and It looks like the transmission mounts are brand new.

Is it normal for the clip to hit the roof above it before angling up enough to allow for easy pin removal?

Comment

Originally posted by mc625569 View Post
                    I got the clip up w a screwdriver, but there wasn't enough clearance to lift the clip up all the way so that I could easily pop the pin out.

I had to loosen the bolts below the transmission mounts to allow enough room for me to get the clip up enough to get out. I just got this e30 and It looks like the transmission mounts are brand new.

Is it normal for the clip to hit the roof above it before angling up enough to allow for easy pin removal?
                    yes, you typically need to drop the tail of the transmission a bit to get the clip out.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Without the knowledge of "bitch clip" you'll end up searching the part number like an idiot and falling asleep under the car at 2AM.
                      "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Originally posted by E30Bastard View Post

Without the knowledge of "bitch clip" you'll end up searching the part number like an idiot and falling asleep under the car at 2AM.

Welcome to the E30 lifestyle
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Apologies for bumping an ancient thread, but for anyone else who finds this thread and is looking for "the Harbor Freight tool" and is faced with broken links, it appears that the tool that was once sold by Harbor Freight, can be found by the name "JC PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS USA Radiator Hose Pick - Removal Tool for Stuck Radiator and Heating Hoses" on Amazon, and there are similar tools available that can be found under the term, "radiator hose pick". I can't yet speak for its effectiveness vs. a flat head screwdriver, but I've purchased one anyway to be prepared for an upcoming project.

Comment

Working...
                          X