Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 E30 High Low Aux Cooling Fan Switch 3 Prong plastic Housing Turns

Hello to all ....
    1988 325iC E30..Cooling Switch is on the right side 3 Prong...
    Was trying to get the Aux fan Cooling Switch to work.High speed works but low speed doesn't and jumped the usual color for high and low speed.
    But as i was putting back the inside headlight cover,which is a tight fix
    As i was putting the plastic male plug in the Cooling Fan Switch the plastic housing cooling fan switch turn around about 1/4 turn "with a little bit of drag"so the wires wouldn't interfere with the inside headlight cover.This is brand new and installed last year..

Is this normal for it to turn like that.....
    And
    if it's this is normal to turn can i check to see if it's still good while in the radiator and to see if high and low speed works...
    And
    One more question and reading a lot on the issue but when they say to this check...do i check while the fuse in still in the fuse box and use my volt meter with the black and red prong right on the fuse box femal sockets or the fuse itself....
    Turn the ignition to run and check for voltage on both sides of fuses 19 and 20. The voltage should be essentially the same on both sides of the fuse. If not, replace the fuse.

and all of this ...
    Check for voltage on socket pin 30. It should be hot at all times.
    Do i turn the key to run On not started to do this test and touch the body as ground.....

Frig i should start my own thread on my car...
    sigpic

any body..
    So the plastic housing on the cooling fan switch turns and you feel it click in one spot while turning on the brass fitting it's ok or should it be replace....Is there a way to check the 3 pins while in the rad and have the car running to see if the fan switch to see if it's faulty
    Like i seen people boiling water to check for ohms...
    Last edited by rustneversleeps; 06-14-2017, 05:59 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

]If the plastic housing turns all the way around I would replace the sensor.

See page 6454-0 of your car in http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

Comment

YA it was replace last year when I bought the car but the car was missing the shield that cover the wires and headlight.So i bought a used one and the way the cover is made it was hard to plug it in so i turn the plastic housing till i heard a click and figured it was ok ...So now i get high speed when jumped and no low speed.And I just installed a new resister..
        Tomorrow i will check those schematics you sent me and see if i can find the problem...
        I should also mention when trying to install the the female plug in the dual temp switch it shorted out a little spark "plastic housing was brittle" and the car went in PPPP mode on the OBC II ,but fix that...i ended up fixing the wires...
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X