No announcement yet.

Castro or JMP??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point. I also thought about that considering the costs. Unless you're attached to the E30 it doesn't make much sense to dump 5k when one can get the entire e36 M3 for not much more or 10k for the e46 M3. Of course they aren't e30's but at some point that's a good thing. I still want to swap my 323 though.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Good point. I also thought about that considering the costs. Unless you're attached to the E30 it doesn't make much sense to dump 5k when one can get the entire e36 M3 for not much more or 10k for the e46 M3. Of course they aren't e30's but at some point that's a good thing. I still want to swap my 323 though.
      Barry knows.

I don't currently have any e30s, so I have no dog in this fight. Love them to death, but I can't seem to hold onto e30s for too long.
      world renown Harry Potter expert
      sigpic

Comment

There's just something about an e30 though. This 318is is dog ass slow, hell... it makes my prius feel like an allstar... but i still love driving that car ... in fact, i prefer it over my e92 garage queen. But like others have suggested, to dump another 5-10K into a BAR'd swap? I dunno.

I did recently put in a markD chip... and my impression was..wtf? Did anything change? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by s1uma1 View Post
          I did recently put in a markD chip... and my impression was..wtf? Did anything change? Lol
          Do you know if it has a lightened flywheel? That will help also, but the M42 will never be a "fast" car
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah dude, there is no such thing as "fast" with "m42" in the same sentence unless forced induction is also added to the equation. You are better off selling the 318iS if you really want a fast car.

Accept the reality, or don't.
            world renown Harry Potter expert
            sigpic

Comment

Being a shop owner, I would suggest making an appt at both places, go in and chat about your project and options. I find that sometimes the client/business relationship either clicks or it doesn't. After that, I am sure you will know who you want to do the job since you will "click" with one shop more than the other.

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              It surely doesn't stop a lot of cars coming through the shop for swaps, though lol. What always gets me is the guy that comes by for a ball-park price and look at you like you have 3 heads when they get an answer. Now that the e30's are aging and the new generation of owners, they are tending to spend money on them.

Been a few years since I heard the 'ol "I can get a swap done in Miami for $700" and they end up bringing the car to be sorted anyways. Some people think the hard/time consuming part is actually dropping the engine in the chassis, but that's one of the simplest/quickest.

Despite claims, a chip doesn't work wonders. I have tuned a lot of Motronic cars on the dyno (albeit most m20's), ~5-8whp is all that's there on a stock engine and I'm sure the m42 is less. Crazy how ads claim +25hp etc lol. Much like the claim for the stock clutch fans drawing 5 or 10 whp, we tested it and it was more like .4whp - which could actually have been the temp of the engine as we see ~1-3whp differences from back to back runs on a norm.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Do you know if it has a lightened flywheel? That will help also, but the M42 will never be a "fast" car
                Pretty sure it does. The car revs much better than most and i do hear some drivetrain chatter at idle.

I should really just be happy that the car holds idle.. = P

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                  Yeah dude, there is no such thing as "fast" with "m42" in the same sentence unless forced induction is also added to the equation. You are better off selling the 318iS if you really want a fast car.

Accept the reality, or don't.
                  I accept. :o

Comment

Who says you only have to own one car? I say go for it. I am normally an M guy but I recently got an E30 w/ BAR legal M50 and other appropriate upgrades and it is going to be my daily driver (Supposedly it was done by Castro). IMO it is a great mix of form and function, and is a blast to drive but not fast enough to get into big trouble. Yeah M3s are cool but they are also expensive to maintain and upgrade. There is a massive difference in long term maintenance costs between M and non-M parts.

Comment

I don't mind getting another e30 for a swap, but the problem is what shops want to charge. Anywhere from 10-13k, which in my mind is just insane. Numerous people I've talked to have said a swap should be Around 5k or so... even cheaper if I supply a donor car. I'm not about to pay a 5k "s50/s52" swap premium.

Comment

I don't mind getting another e30 for a swap, but the problem is what shops want to charge. Anywhere from 10-13k, which in my mind is just insane. Numerous people I've talked to have said a swap should be Around 5k or so... even cheaper if I supply a donor car. I'm not about to pay a 5k "s50/s52" swap premium.
                        Keep in mind, when you hire a professional shop, labor rates are going to be in the neighborhood of $100+/hr. To do a proper swap, it's not out of the question for it to be 30-40hr, so $5k gets eaten up very quickly in labor alone - even if you supplied everything.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Numerous people I've talked to have said a swap should be Around 5k or so...
                          These people that have said this .... ask them to do it. As John has iterated, a professional swap will cost you. Especially if you want the motor to not be a "junkyard special".
                          Last edited by SkiFree; 07-17-2017, 08:31 AM.
                          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I was quoted between 30-40 hours to get it done properly. Shops won't cut a discount. Add to that, you shouldn't throw a junkyard motor in the car plus all the things to do "while you're in there" and it quickly turns into over $3k for a motor. This is why for my own car and most of the swaps that are for sale you just won't get them for under $8k. Mines been fully rebuilt and that's another few grand in top. We're not even talking about the car itself yet.

It's not cheap unless you do it yourself
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                              After doing swapped cars and driving them for years, I would no longer recommend an s50/52 swap. They are 17 years old at the youngest, and most are "tired". If you want a CARB legal swap, just get an e36 m3. Those are rad and do things that e30s cant.

I'm probably biased though. I've had e30s, e36s, e46s, all m3s and base models. The best cars are the ones that didn't need motor swaps.

For the record, an e30 318iS is still my favorite e30 platform.
                              Having owned e30s, e36s, an e46 m3 and driven most other 3 series iterations, with swaps, turbos, superchargers, etc, I totally disagree with this statement. The only thing the e36 really does better than an s52 e30 is drifting. Granted it takes a better driver to drive an e30 as fast on the track, but the weight advantage helps to negate that.

My s52 e30 was still my favorite overall car that I've owned. My s54 e30 m3 was better in every respect, and my Ti and z3 coupe are in their own respects, but that E30 still holds a very special place in my heart. While the e36 chassis slides better, the e30 seems to put power down better in a straight line when set-up properly and the shorter wheel base makes it feel so much faster. The e36 interior leaves a lot to be desired with the noises, clips, window regulators, sunroof, etc. As for the e46 m3, it's an awesome car, but there are so many high dollar maintenance items on the high mileage chassis to be done that they're not worth it either.

At the end of the day an s52 e30 is faster than an e46 m3, has better steering feel, is more reliable in many respects and gets great gas mileage. While an e36 m3 isn't THAT much slower, most e30 owners don't care for the looks of an e36. I know it took me years to appreciate the looks of an e36, and then I really loved the way they drove after driving a few properly set-up ones including my own. The only thing I really prefer about an e36 m3 is the rear suspension design since I like to get tail happy some time.

Overall my favorite overall combo is a properly set-up s54 e36 m3, but that's just my opinion.
                              Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Appreciate your feedback. I teeter A LOT. Now I'm thinking about keeping the 318is and getting a 325is to complement. I'm sure the m20 feels like a rocket compared to the m42...

Comment

Working...
                                X