M60/TTV flywheel/5sp trans throwout bearing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60/TTV flywheel/5sp trans throwout bearing question

I am using a M60 with the e34 5sp trans and the TTV m60-s52 clutch flywheel.
    Which throwout bearing do I use?
    The e34 and m3 throwout bearings have different OE part numbers. The transmission is basically the same as m3, so I'm guessing I need to use the M3 bearing with the m3 pressure plate.
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

I am using the same engine/trans setup as you.

The TTV Flywheel is designed for use with the e36 m3 clutch kit (meaning clutch, PP, and throwout bearing)

The e34 m5 pressure plate is taller than the e36 m3, meaning the throwout bearing would be smaller in height. Use of the e34 m5 T.O. bearing would be too small and wouldn't engage with use of the e36 m3 PP.

I highly recommend the use of a sprung clutch disc with the use of the TTV flywheel, since the flywheel is a single mass.

You can use a stage 1 or 2 aftermarket clutch kit for the e36 m3 because those have sprung clutch disc. I chose to find an OEM solution to this problem.

The e34 m5 clutch disc is sprung, and is the same mm thickness as the e36 m3 disc. All you have to do is reverse mount the e34 disc so that the springs don't contact the pressure plate. I've been using this setup for 500 miles so far and no problems yet!

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will be using the provided throw out bearing with my clutch kit.
      I am using a Southbend K70238 HD O SMF, stage 2 daily.
      We're in deep now boys
      1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
      1988 340iL - Track car
      My M60 V8 swap thread here
      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
      X