The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Ah, so they were custom pistons after all. You should make a build thread so I can follow when you get the new setup dialed in!
    I wish I had time for a build thread.

Fancy pistons:

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
      I wish I had time for a build thread.
      No excuses, I don't think any of us actually have the time ;)

Those look great! Me thinks I'm just going to run the stockers and not worry about it. Simple is best in this case.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

That engine DEFINITELY costs more than an S52 lol...

Comment

Picking up this crapbox 328 Wednesday to replace the Subaru daily while I tear it down for repairs. It's also (obviously) an M52/ZF car so it'll serve as a donor for the parts that I need to finish the 24V swap in the E30 once I'm done driving it. I'm going to snag a junkyard door and it won't actually be half bad.

Also, I've been extremely tempted to not build the current M52 I have and just regasket it, pop in the cams I have, and just get it in the E30 to get it done and driving, and then later use the 3.0L internals to build the second M52 I now have from this E36.....options options options.

Last edited by AWDBOB; 06-02-2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

The Bimmers are tucked away for the summer until life settles down a bit.

Comment

Fixed my air compressor finally which resulted in some progress!

Disassembling the ebrake assemblies.

Removing trunk tar- this stuff is heavy!

Lowering her down.

I only had to drill out one bolt which wasn't bad at all.

Taking stuff apart to begin cleaning.

I have a 3 clutch LSD upgrade coming, debating on rebuilding this 4.10LSD, or getting a 3.73LSD to rebuild instead.

I have to order ebrake cables/shoes/hardware, rear wheel bearings, and the chase bays complete brake line kit, because the lines running the length of the car are too rusty to reuse. Then I'll throw it back together with the GC kit, Konis, upgraded diff, garagistic subframe, and everything else fresh!

Comment

nice progress

-
                Project
                Parts for Sale
                Feedback
                YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                  nice progress
                  Thanks, man. Waiting on a couple tools/parts to come in so I can button up the rear suspension and move onto the front.

Comment

I'm slowly ruining this car for myself by going too in depth (par for the course with every single other car I've built and sold).

To avoid that, I'm going to finish pressing in all of my new stuff, clean things up briefly, and skip the "restoration" portion that adds 10hrs to each project and sucks the life out of the car. Debating on even resealing the diff at this point.

Rear trailing arms getting new bushings, wheel bearings, hubs, ebrake assemblies etc.

Comment

Buried some cat 5e out to the garage and set up an AP! It's the small victories.

Appalachian engineering is cheaper than proper tooling.

I know I said I wasn't going to paint stuff BUT

I need to figure out what to do about the rear halfshafts and I'll throw the back end together. New boots are $100. Reman axles are $120. Reman axles suck. Rebuilding axles.......greasy.

I opted to NOT refresh the rear diff as the bolts were corroded so badly I'd have to replace most/all of the hex heads if I even put new seals in it, and it wasn't leaking.

PLAN: use 4.10LSD until I find a 3.46LSD and do a full 4 clutch pack rebuild/mod on that.

I need to buy tires so I can mount up my wheels and clearance the fenders for the porterhouse I'm going to throw on 'em (and by porterhouse I mean a 6oz filet in the form of a 225/45)

I just want to do burnouts...

Comment

I need to get rid of this E36 before I start putting money into it.

Comment

E36 progress (praying the guy coming to look at it this weekend buys it so I don't have to look at it anymore). Racing dynamic springs, Bilsteins, offset M3 strut hats, offset M3 CABs, garagistic poly RTABs.

E30 Progress- it's taken me two months to do a weekends worth of work. My harbor freight c clamp and my ebay wheel bearing kit have been working hard lately :)

Pressed in the new bearings, cut the races off of my hubs and pressed them into the TAs, found a set of Poly RTABs I found in a random box, pressed those in, and pressed in a urethane diff bushing I found in the same random box. I literally constantly buy parts but never install them.

Threw some of the bolts in my tumbler to clean them up a bit. For 0 effort it cleaned most of the rust off and brought them back to life a bit.

I took a day off tomorrow so I'm going to see what else I can get done.

I have to run new AN brake lines from front to rear (current ones rusted), install the new ebrake cables I have, assemble the rear ebrake assemblies, calipers, etc, roll the fenders, install the rear coilovers, and...... I think that'll be it for the rear of the car.

Once the E36 sells I'm going to bring the motor to the machine shop and get moving on the 3.0L!

For the front suspension I need to find a Z3 steering rack to work with my airbag console, weld on perches for my coilovers, and install all of the new parts I've had in a box for months.

I can't wait to get this thing on the road. Wish I had a car buddy to wrench with for motivation.

Things I still need to do/purchase:

modified engine harness
                          rebuilt vanos unit
                          clutch
                          318is AC line
                          parallel flow condensor
                          Z3 1.9 steering rack
                          e30 catback exhaust/make custom mid pipe
                          UUC twisted DSSR
                          Z3 shifter
                          Nissens M42 Rad
                          Pusher and Puller Electric Fans
                          944 Booster
                          Last edited by AWDBOB; 07-20-2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Man it's looking good and looks like your doing great work. Makes me ashamed of the little things on my car I keep putting off

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
                              Man it's looking good and looks like your doing great work. Makes me ashamed of the little things on my car I keep putting off
                              Thanks! I'm trying to do this car right without going crazy overboard. I think it will yield fruitful results :)

Comment

I think you may be going crazy overboard but if your going to keep it for a long time very worth it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X