No announcement yet.

★ ★ Project Glacier | Make the E30 a Daily Again ★ ★

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, I'm on a stock gasket and headbolts, no ARPs. Similar goals, just without the S5x cams (so far). If I pop a gasket I'll definitely do studs, but people on aluminum blocks seem to get 500+ out of the stock bolts, so fuck it.

Clutch options, I'm running the FX Stage 3 flywheel/clutch/pp with a new OEM TOB. It works fine, but I admit the 6puck can get annoying (especially in traffic).

If I did it again, I'd get an RHD 24v flywheel (the one with m30 clutch disc fitment) + a Sachs 765 PP + some sort of organic sprung M30/S38 clutch disc. Euro guys seem to run a ton of power through that sort of setup.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      As for the swap, it's slow going... I thought a $300 M52 would be pretty cheap to swap but everything I want to do to it is another $300... S52 cams? $300. ARP headstuds and headgasket? $300. So I dunno when I'll be getting around to that. Maybe I'll set up a car port on the side of the house and do it in the winter.

This is actually something I have been thinking about. I plan to swap the M52 NA (with S52 cams and M50 intake manifold) before I boost it so I can iron everything out. For that I think the G260 will be fine. Once boost comes maybe a ZF will be necessary. I haven't actually done much transmission/clutch research for a ~400hp M52.
      I feel that 1000%. It is amazing what the swap actually costs all said and done. But once it's in the car and running it's not that bad to make changes from there!

If you're going turbo eventually, the RHD HD 24v flywheel with the big M5 S38 clutch setup would be ideal. To my knowledge that setup holds 600hp+.

With the HD version of the flywheel you have options, too. You can use the early model M30 (simple/cheap), late model M30 (heavier duty), or the one I mentioned above.

I went with the non-HD RHD 24v flywheel (7lbs) and am just going to use something close to a stock-ish PP/disc to hold all 220 wild horsies.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

recommending you stay obd2. Run the manifold, but keep the rest.

Also the obd2 throttle body is nicer than odb1, just make sure you adjust your throttle pedal stop to prevent breaking those plastic bell cranks.

+1 on running full face clutch disk. 6 puck is chattery as fuck.

Comment

quit messing with toyotas and finish something on this one!
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            quit messing with toyotas and finish something on this one!
            Haha! I'm getting one more major part for the truck and then I'll be done with it for a while... Finally.

During a meeting today I actually put together a list of the shit the engine needs in order to swap it... There's a lot of stuff I still need to get... :?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Moved it to the side yard so I can fix the massive oil leak so I can drive it without being super self conscious about leaving oil stains everywhere I go... Hah... That's all.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I jacked it up, removed the wheels, removed the skid plate, drained the oil, and took a picture. Now it's time to go drink beer.

DSC_6706 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

Comment

Glad to see you're pacing yourself. Don't blow out your bicep doing too many beer curls. ;)

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

24V soon? I have taken roughly the same pace as you.
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I predict that same pic in 3 months with snow on the car
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

^haha
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

inb4 m52 inside the taco
                          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                          willschnitz

Comment

Hah... it's been 2 weeks and I glanced at it once lol

Currently waiting for snow before I start working on it again.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                              Hah... it's been 2 weeks and I glanced at it once lol

Currently waiting for snow before I take another picture of it.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                I'm really considering working on it tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X