• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=slammin.e28;4787433]

That nose!

That loading dock hanging off the back!

That mess!

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post

This is pretty cool - I didn't know the interior was this nice.

It's actually in pretty good shape.

I once used some of that plastic polish on my convertible window and it worked wonders. Totally clear after.

Comment

Those bumpers are fucking gigantic. Are the smaller non-impact bumpers hard to find?

Comment

Haha, yes, luckily the red Jensen I bought first has all the early bumpers, so those will be moved over. It was one of the last of the chrome bumpers, so it has the spaced out brackets that the later rubber bumpers would go on to. I'm going to shorten them so the chrome bumpers are closer to the body.

This car is in amazing condition. It's literally a driver once I get ten years of sitting wiped out of it. Brakes are seized, I took the front pads out and tried to free them on the car but no dice. Again, lucky I have the red parts car now.

The engine had a huge rodent nest right on top of the intake and it was full of snail shells. Apparently something was eating them. I vacuumed all that out. Going to pressure wash the bay before putting all the intake stuff back together.

I'm amazed by the overall condition. The red car had sat for about the same amount of time, but in Maryland. Really speaks for West Coast cars.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Jerkin with my Jensen, II

Is it time for an update?

I think so.

So, although it ran, it had a heavy miss. Broke out the infrared thermometer and measured the temps of the headers......cylinder 3 was half the temp of the other four. Compression test, 120, 120, 60, 120 (-ish). Suspect a burned valve on #3....they're notorious for that. Whateves. Did comp test on the red car's engine, 155, 150, 155, 160.

Done.

So I swapped the engine.

While it was out I checked the valve clearances, they were all on the loose side of spec. Good. They tighten up as they wear. I popped the carbs from the Cali car onto the new engine, repaired a vacuum leak where someone had broken a fitting off the front carb, and fired it up.

/Done.

I've been putting things back together since. Driveline, cooling system, etc. Fuel tank is totally dry and clean inside. There wasn't a drop of fuel in the system. That is awaiting install after I finish the trunk refurb.

One thing I've yet to do is swap the front brake calipers. They are both absolutely stuck. Gonna pull the ones from the red car and see how they are, then go from there.

Otherwise the thing is coming along nicely. I'm stoked to get it driving. Haven't had much time to really dedicate to it recently.
          Last edited by slammin.e28; 06-22-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Update:

Comment

Man, that engine really lays on its side, doesn't it? Didn't realize that.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                Man, that engine really lays on its side, doesn't it? Didn't realize that.
                Forty-five degrees.

They actually have spacers on the engine mounts so the headers don't hit the body of the Jensen.

Damn Lotus. Chassis builders, NOT engine builders for sure.

Comment

"Barn" find...

Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	7192366

Sometimes, when I’m on Craigslist or Ebay, I come upon a car whose condition takes my breath away, and makes me wonder how the hell any vehicle could ever descend into such a miserable state. This Jensen Interceptor is one such example.

Comment

"Ran when parked."

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      "Barn" find...

[ATTACH]115650[/ATTACH]

http://jalopnik.com/this-dilapidated...eti-1796843968
                      That's about as bad as my red JH, lol!

More update on the green car:

Shifter rebuild it basically done. I do need to replace the rubber mount at the back of the carrier, but I'm going to do some delrin for that. Sucker is pretty quick, I'm surprised. 7k redline and it goes all the way there.

Probably going to end up going through the carbs. Idle creeps up as it gets warmer and it tries to diesel sometimes.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is there anything from the red car left?

You should remove those bumpers, it will be much faster with all that weight dropped off. What do they look like in Europe without those crazy DOT bumps?
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            Is there anything from the red car left?

You should remove those bumpers, it will be much faster with all that weight dropped off. What do they look like in Europe without those crazy DOT bumps?
                            I've just got to cut out the floors and rockers, they were replaced in the red car and are still good. Otherwise nope.

....except the bumpers. It's got the early chrome bumpers. Those may go on this car eventually. I may just leave the rear bumperless....looks so good and lets face it....any rear end collision is going to do the car in anyway. The rear section I'm going to paint black, like this:

That car has the early bumpers.

Front I wanna go for this look:

Going to strip the bumper and see what's under it for a frame etc and work with that if I can. We'll see....in due time.

Hood is going to be black as well....for now. My do a green double stripe up the driver's side.

Comment

looks like a lot of interchangeable parts with the tr7 i used to have.

that one looks like a lot better project than the red car. personally, i would run away like a scared little girl. over the years,i have developed this deep seated hatred for anything british. kudos to you man.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Jerkin with my Jensen #19998 (11/6)

So, I made my goal....got the car to the Brit car show in October. This thing is so much fucking fun to drive!

Finally got my plate.

....annnnd a note from the VA DMV that the title is fucky in Cali....so I'm in talks with the original owner out there trying to get it sorted. I think the VA DMV is just too dumb to sort an original Cali pink slip....but anyway....they gave me tags and reg so I'll drive the thing every now and then. It's such a blast.
                                Last edited by slammin.e28; 11-28-2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X