Guide to your OBD2 swap! Diagnostics and logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holy thread revival!

was browsing and was wondering if I could run a similar setup on an OBD1 converted swap using a 413 DME. I'm really fed up with "guess and check" troubleshooting.

Comment

Check the E36 wiring diagram for powers/grounds at the diag port and make sure everything is where its supposed to be.

And no OBD1 stinks and you cant get diagnostics easily.

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

The only wiring issue I am is, getting my coolant reading for my gauge cluster. I got the sensor in the head. But I can't seem to figure out how to wire it?!?! Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
        Holy shit did you even read this post before you posted?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/announcement.php?f=156

This thread sure sucked last night. It just plain sucked. I've seen threads suck before but this is the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

Comment

So I am able to scan the OBD2 MS41.0 using INPA but not able to scan it using any other scanners. I talked to the guy from Poland who shipped me the ECU he said it will not work with aftermarket scanners. I was hopping to do live scanning on my android. but I guess I have to do the wiring inside the cabin and run windows tablet for the INPA.

if you have a solution to this problem that would be great.

Also my car is an 87 and I bought the plug n play harness that I am not sure it will have a signal wire to the cluster for the check engine light.

My x6031 harness is gutted and not sure where are the wires to trace from. but I think I can get a signal from the x20? not sure what wire color/pin number?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mushi View Post
            So I am able to scan the OBD2 MS41.0 using INPA but not able to scan it using any other scanners. I talked to the guy from Poland who shipped me the ECU he said it will not work with aftermarket scanners. I was hopping to do live scanning on my android. but I guess I have to do the wiring inside the cabin and run windows tablet for the INPA.

if you have a solution to this problem that would be great.

Also my car is an 87 and I bought the plug n play harness that I am not sure it will have a signal wire to the cluster for the check engine light.

My x6031 harness is gutted and not sure where are the wires to trace from. but I think I can get a signal from the x20? not sure what wire color/pin number?

Thank you.
            Why do you have ms41.0?

It doesn't have obd2 PIDs integrated

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
              Why do you have ms41.0?

It doesn't have obd2 PIDs integrated
              Well I found it cheap on ebay to run my car without emission crap LOL.

it had 7k RPM and some other adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by Mushi View Post
                Well I found it cheap on ebay to run my car without emission crap LOL.

it had 7k RPM and some other adjustments.
                So do the proper 41.1/2 tunes we sell

Check Us out on Facebook
                Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                  So do the proper 41.1/2 tunes we sell
                  I have TRM on its way for the turbo so this is just temp ecu.

Comment

you can update the ms41.0 to ms41.2 to get obd2 reading and various other things.
                    Same hardware.
                    RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
                      you can update the ms41.0 to ms41.2 to get obd2 reading and various other things.
                      Same hardware.
                      link for DIY?

Comment

Would I be fine leaving the adapter and Bluetooth dongle in the engine bay? If I kept it on battery tray pretty far away from the exhaust or even behind m3 battery tray cover I imagine it would be okay?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by craiggroves91; 06-22-2017, 10:32 AM.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                        1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                        1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                        1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

The adapter and bluetooth dongle aren't really waterproof. I don't think they'd last nearly as long sitting in there.

Also wouldn't they be powered up all the time? IIRC the port is "hot at all times"

Edit:
                          It's not terribly hard to wire an actual OBD2 port in the car. Its 4 wires, one is just +12v, two are ground, and the actual signal wire has enough length that you can pull it out of the harness and run it back through the firewall with the DME connector.

My +12v is switched power from the aux fusebox, so I just leave the INPA cable plugged in all the time.
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                            The adapter and bluetooth dongle aren't really waterproof. I don't think they'd last nearly as long sitting in there.

Also wouldn't they be powered up all the time? IIRC the port is "hot at all times"
                            If behind the battery cover it shouldn't see much water. Maybe I'll route it into the car somehow. Not sure the cable is long enough though.

I pulled the trigger on a cable and dongle, so we will see

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                            1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

So received the cable and dongle and they seem to working fine, but torque won't get any readings and usually just says that it is searching for protocol. The car icon blinks, but the others stay illuminated.

Could this be an issue with the tune I have?

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Here's a screenshot

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X