what to use to clean oil pan and block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to use to clean oil pan and block?

what did you use or recommend to use? Doing an S50 swap so I would like to remove all the oil dirt and grease off these parts.

I used a couple of cans of engine degreaser from the auto parts store. Just about any brand works well if you follow the directions.

Comment

If your oil pan has a lot of brown tarnish on it you can leave it in the sun for a lil bit and cover it easy off oven cleaner. That will get most of the tarsnish off the inside.

Comment

will try those thanks. anymore idea?

Comment

dishwasher ftw
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

brake cleaner

Comment

pressure washer is the only way to go then degrease... and sandblast all of the aluminum parts of course off of the motor and you after super cleaning the intake you can put it in the dishwasher to make it like new again!
              Last edited by kenika65; 12-15-2008, 06:24 PM.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
              1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
                spaypaint

fixed

Comment

I soaked my oilpan in simple green... which for some reason now comes in purple.... and i had fantastic results.

Simple green + engine degreaser + pressure washer= good to go
                  Originally posted by ebelements
                  Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh jass View Post
                    brake cleaner

Works on all the grimey stuff .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post

Works on all the grimey stuff .
                      Word. Brake cleaner is the shit. Get the stuff from wal mart.
                      -Pierre
                      1987 535is
                      1988 325is

Comment

I found Monster degreaser works excellent!!! Its not harsh at all, spray wait a min then wipe. The oil pan was no match for monster 2 min soak then sprayed with water hose.
                        sigpic

Comment

Depends how bad it is. It may be worth your while to take it to a shop and have it dipped. Also for the stain-like crap, steel wool works really well. I was trying little brass brushes, steel brushes, when my wife asked me: what about steel wool? I tried it, it worked really well.

Comment

I soaked my oil pan in zep degreaser mixed with water, all the grime is off. However my oil pan is a greyish colour now. Is this fine or is it coated in something else now?

Comment

the bay and complete underside of car

Simple Green and a brush, once clean it is much more enjoyable to wrench on the car without having to wear any gloves.

Comment

Working...
                              X